Author Topic: Help a newb please with an autotune  (Read 3672 times)

Edward

Help a newb please with an autotune
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
Just did the autotune on my 3 & my values are:
P-64
I-781
D-195
Ran a program afterwards with the same bricks in there set for 225 & it over shot about 7 degrees before finally settling at 225. Is this normal or did I screw something up on the AT? Any help would be appreciated.
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Help a newb please with an autotune
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »
Not uncommon, Edward.  But, if it overshoots, and doesn't "settle-in" to the set temp, then you may have an issue.  Your numbers don't look out of line, and as long as it settled and held your temp, I wouldn't worry about it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Edward

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »
OK, thank you Tony. Another question if you would. I ran another auto tune yesterday soon as I got home from work. Same temp outside, same 4 bricks in same exact spots, same pan of hot water, & same no foil on the bottom. My results were:
P- 49    & day before (64)
I- 600   & day before (781)
D-150   & day before (195)
Why so much of a difference in the results? Should I split the difference between the 2 & enter that value or maybe run a 3rd AT? Any thoughts? Thanks
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:35 PM »
Edward, have you tried smoking anything with your previous autotune settings?  Curious why you re-did it.  I can't recall; do you have the drop-in box probe, or the wall mount?  If it's the drop-in, your results will vary every time.  Let me know which, and we'll go from there.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Edward

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »
I have not tried smoking anything yet. I re ran the AT to see if the numbers would repeat. I do have a wall mounted probe installed.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »
OK.  I would write both sets of numbers down, and see which one works best, by actually smoking something.  They probably varied a bit due to ambient temperature difference, perhaps.  Both sets of numbers look in-line, so I'd just see which works best.  Now go smoke something!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Edward

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
Thank u for your professional opinion. I will give her a try.