Author Topic: Heavy smoke flavor without being bitter  (Read 4793 times)

wouldbe1

Heavy smoke flavor without being bitter
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
New to forum I have the #2 smoker I’ve used it three times with ribs. I like a heavy smoke flavor but can’t seem to get that flavor does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this without making the meat bitter

Texan in Tulsa

Re: Heavy smoke flavor without being bitter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:25:58 PM »
What type of wood are you using?  I've used hickory in the past on a stick burner and the flavor of the smoke was overpowering. 

Since I received my 3D, I've done three smokes..........
1st smoke was a brisket and I used sugar maple and cherry. I liked this a lot!  It had a great smoky flavor without being too strong.
2nd smoke was pork ribs using sugar maple and red oak. This had a slightly more pronounced smoke flavor. Maybe just a touch stronger.
3rd smoke was salmon filets using just sugar maple. Very mild flavor.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
If you like "heavy" smoke flavor, go with mesquite, that would probably be the best for very heavy flavor, next would probably be hickory.  Give mesquite a try if you are able to get some, that will be a very strong smoke flavor, if you can't obtain that, go to:    www.smokinlicious.com    I have purchased from them a couple of times, they do have hickory and their woods are about 20% moisture content so they smoke extremely well compared to others who's moisture is a lot less and may just burn in the fire box.  Another would be to use the A-MAZE-N tube or zig zag pellet smoker,  www.amazenproducts.com   you can pick up mesquite pellets a lot easier than the chunks depending on where you live anyway.  I get my mesquite pellets on eBay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traeger-20-LB-Mesquite-Wood-Barbeque-Grill-Pellets-/141666656506?hash=item20fbfda0fa:g:CGwAAOSw3ydV119O

enjoy the mesquite, let us know how it goes!

Carl
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:08:46 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
What wood are you using, and how much (are you weighing your wood?)?  I agree that, for the strongest smoke flavor, you can't beat mesquite.  I, personally, love hickory and don't find it "strong," but definitely has more flavor!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

wouldbe1

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:56:01 PM »
I had bought hickory and apple from the big box store .First smoke I used 6oz of hickory on pork butt and it came out bitter, second smoke I used 3oz of apple on three racks of ribs not much smoke flavor ,third smoke I used 3oz of hickory on one rack of ribs same out come. I just recently order mojo bricks, I have to check and see which one's I ordered
Thanks for the feedback

wouldbe1

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:04:43 PM »
on the hickory pellets how many oz do you ues?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
I had bought hickory and apple from the big box store .First smoke I used 6oz of hickory on pork butt and it came out bitter, second smoke I used 3oz of apple on three racks of ribs not much smoke flavor ,third smoke I used 3oz of hickory on one rack of ribs same out come.

If you are using wood from the big box stores, it's very possible you are burning up your wood.  If it catches fire, you will not get much smoke taste because it stops smoking quickly.  A good quality wood, like smokinlicious.com, will last a good long time, and give you maximum smoke flavor.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
My first and worst experience with my smoker....big box store wood!  Terrible tasting meat and plenty of white smoke.  The wood burned, flamed inside the the wood box, it didn't smoke it burned up in flames.  The wood from those stores may be good for grilling but not in these smokers.  I, like you, had to learn the hard way.  I now use www.smokinlicious.com wood all the time, no problems with their wood, and usually pellets for cold smoking, just my 2 cents worth, life gets better with the right wood and the amount of wood used, you can still over smoke with too much of the right wood.  Most here use 2-3 oz of wood, maybe more for a heavier smoke flavor.
For cold smoking, depends how long you want to smoke?  For cheese I use about 2 oz of Apple or cherry pellets with www.amazenproducts.com 6" tube smoker for a 2 hour smoke and usually have pellets left over inside the tube.  Some here smoke cheese twice that long for a more smoked taste, I'm still new too so a lot of my smokes are still experiments ;-).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:10:19 AM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.