Author Topic: smokin-it 2 questions  (Read 5956 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: smokin-it 2 questions
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »
Also, there are way cheaper alternatives to the SI cart. This is what I use and I like it because it sits up higher than the SI cart:
http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/service-carts/24-inch-x-36-inch-steel-service-cart-5770.html

Gregg, I used this cart with the standard 3D, and loved it.  But, it's too high for the 3D (unless you're 7 feet tall); you can't read the controller display!  I think I'm going to break down and order the enclosed SI cart.  Using it on the floor, without a cart, is tough for an old fat boy! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 01:13:42 AM »
I'm 6'2" and can the dial on my #3 fine. But maybe the D models are harder to view when they are up higher.

I will say that I wouldn't want it any higher though. :)

I am working on some ideas in my head to enclose the bottom and add a top that the #3 could sit sideways on the top and then build a plywood built DIY cold smoker roughly the same size as my #3 next to it so I could use the #3 racks and have more airflow so my A-MAZE-N smokers work a little bit better. It is just an idea in my head for now though. Maybe this summer if I get ambitious.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NVW-SSV

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
Love my #2, but if I found $1,000  of the infamous and so-called "extra money" or more floating around, the #3D would be the first impulse buy.  If you can afford it, go 3/3D.  Nothing wrong with my #2, but after feeding a few, the party keeps growing, and the real estate inside the smoker to feed MORE gets scarce.  You'll be happier if you NIP IT (barney fife) in the bud and go larger, if the budget allows. 

Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)