Author Topic: 2 or 2D. - moisture  (Read 7585 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2 or 2D. - moisture
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »
Lack of moisture is not a problem. In fact I don't add it anymore. Instead I have been using a sand filled foil wrapped tray. The sand and clay act as a heat sink minimizing wider temp. swings. IMO the high temp swing is what dries meat out, not lack of moisture. Sand has a greater thermal mass than water and doesn't evaporate. There is also less cleanup.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I have the standard #3 and don't find that the swings affect my results at all. I usually use a moisture pan next to the smoke box, but in the past I have occasionally forgotten to add it and still have had excellent results.

The heat sink usually causes bigger problems than it solves. People using drip pans and the like below their meat have historically caused even larger temp swings and problems with the controller dial temp matching the smoker temp. This may be different if you are using an Auber with the top mounted smoker probe. But, if you use the stock probe that is located toward the bottom back of the smoker, this can cause problems and should be avoided.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm with Gregg, on this one.  Certainly nothing wrong with a pan of sand, as long as it's on the floor next to the smoke box (not in between the heat and the meat, where it can disrupt heat flow).  But, the only things I don't use a water pan on are things like jerky and skin-on chicken/poultry.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
Once you move to the 3 & 4 models, pans under the meat become a lot less troublesome.  In my model 4, I can put a 1/2 steam pan under meat and have 4" all the way around for flow.  I've always said that the rules of use are not blanket for all models. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
Once you move to the 3 & 4 models, pans under the meat become a lot less troublesome.  In my model 4, I can put a 1/2 steam pan under meat and have 4" all the way around for flow.  I've always said that the rules of use are not blanket for all models.

Great point, Dave.  It's really all about clearance around the pan, not the model.  Now, full-size cookie sheets in a #3 will definitely change things up! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Charliehustle

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »
Bark is dried meat and spices. Wetting the surface softens the bark. If you like your meat steamed and without a bark then your method will achieve that.
 Not sure what you don't agree with. Adding sand mimics "meat" but retains heat better than water, you do this when you calibrate an Auber for that reason. Not sure how mimicked meat in the form of sand will cause large temp swings if placed in the same spot you place your liquid pans.
The cycling does not affect flavor or texture. Keeping the smoker from cycling on and off will give you a more predictable, steady and even temp like an Auber. I'm not saying the sand keeps temps even close to the +and - of an Auber, I just saying it is an alternative to heat robbing liquid.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 01:54:53 PM »
I do not ever have soft bark because I do not foil my butts/ribs. Foilers will run into this problem. Adding the water pan next to the smoke box will not give you soft bark, trust me. It just provides a moist environment for the meat to cook in. It is not steam. I honestly am not sure how much affect the water pan has, but I have always done it and had great results, whereas others especially with ribs have found that without the pan ribs can get a bit dry. With a pork butt, it is might not be quite as necessary, but I would still recommend using it.

The point that I was trying to make and Tony clarified is that you do not want to have your heat sink on a shelf below the meat. If you place your sand pan on the floor of the smoker next to the smoke box like we do it will not cause a problem. But, if you place it on a shelf below the meat it will cause temperature issues and heat flow issues around your meat. When you do this you essentially have two heat sinks. One with the sand and one with the meat itself which is not the same as using a sand sink for calibrating the Auber.

I am just trying to help based on problems others have seen numerous times in the past and what we found to be the cause. Take the advice or leave it. Or better yet try both ways and find which way works best for you and let us know the results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 08:34:19 PM »
Charlie, Gregg's absolutely right; a water pan does NOT cause soggy bark!  With hundreds of SI smokes in my belly, I can tell you that I have never failed to have nothing but good, thick, chewy bark on my Q.  Water pans don't steam your meat, they just add a slight amount of moisture to the meat. 

But, you know what?  There are no "right" or "wrong" answers in BBQ!! 8)   We'll have healthy discussions, and push/support/prove/disprove our opinions and positions, but it's all in good spirit!  We don't get personal, which should be refreshing to most that have been on some other forums where they do.

So, everyone should do what works for them, not what works for me, or anyone else!  I take it all in, evaluate the merits of the information, and make my own decisions.  Most of all, I try to have a good time, whether debating or smoking some killer Q!
Tony from NW Arkansas