Author Topic: smokin-it 2 questions  (Read 5957 times)

stout

smokin-it 2 questions
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:48:53 PM »
while i am still shopping around i have about decided that a smokin-it 2 will be the first electric smoker i'll ever buy.

a couple of questions, that i am sure have been asked here before, so i hope you don't mind me asking them once again.

can i fit a whole turkey in the 12 to 15 pound range? or if bigger how big?

how about a whole brisket in the 10 to 14 pound range? will that fit or need to be cut?

TheLocNar

Re: smokin-it 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
Turkey you should be fine. Maybe even slightly over 15 if the turkey is trussed tightly.

Brisket I'm not too sure. Someone else can check in.

Keep in mind. Meat shrinks when cooked too. ;)

I think the #2 will suit you well. I have one and don't really find myself needing more space. :)

Good luck!
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
I am thinking the brisket will need to be cut.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:08:35 PM »
Hi Stout!  I've easily fit a 14+ lb turkey in the #2, no problem.  You actually never want to smoke a turkey bigger than that due to food safety (the length of time it stays in the "danger zone" of 40-140).  I've also fit a 12+ lb packer brisket in the 2, uncut.  It may curl up the edges a bit, but they shrink fast.

I'll throw a wrinkle your way....The #2 is a great smoker, and can fit a lot of meat.  But, if your budget allows, I really recommend the #3.  If for nothing else, the depth.  20" will accomodate BIG packer briskets, multiple butts, and a lot of uncut full racks of ribs.  You can always smoke less in the #3, but you can never smoke more in a #2.  That amount of Q real estate can't be underestimated, and really pays off when you need it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:37:20 PM »
+1 on getting the #3.

You can easily smoke larger whole packer brisket as well as full slabs if ribs and multiple pork butts.

I regularly smoke for only 3 people but love vacuum sealing my leftovers and putting them in the freezer for another day.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:50 AM »
I have smoked a 12# whole turkey in my #2, and I think the last brisket that I smoked was around 11# and it fit fine.   However, I agree with others that if you can swing the #3, the additional space will be beneficial.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

stout

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
like all of us i am not getting any younger. i'm starting to get up there which is what gets me wanting an electric smoker. tending a fire through the night is not something i want to do so much anymore. also while i need to get the cart/stand for the smoker.. seems the ground is getting further and further down there with every passing year.and of course a cover .. that puts me at the 600 or 700 dollar range all in which is really top of the mark for me. that's why i am looking at the 2 rather than the 3

i'm not ready to buy today but if the on sale prices hold (or go and come back again) i maybe could swing a 3

i have to have some money left over for some good meat to smoke after all

another question i see there are cold smoking plates available (that would be something i get after perhaps.. how well does it do as a cold smoker?

thanks everyone

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:05:04 AM »
I think you will be fine with the #2 ... I know I have not been disappointed with mine!   I have the cold plate and have smoked cheese on a couple of occasions (actually running out of cheese now, so I may be smoking more this weekend).  The cold plate works like a charm ... I place it on the lowest rack just above the smoke box, and then a pan of ice cubes on top of the plate.   With a small amount of wood, I have the #2 on for about 15 minutes until the smoke is rolling, and then turn it off for 45-60 minutes.  Then, I power it back up again for 15 minutes to get more smoke rolling.   I use a Maverick to monitor the box temp, which generally stays below 90F the entire time.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
Just a thought:  the SI Facebook has or had a social store that you could get a discount on smokers by ordering there. Also if digital accuracy isn't a top priority go for the analog SI 3. Not sure if the 3D is offered on the Facebook page.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

stout

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »
thank you both

i'll check facebook and save some money for cheese. maybe get the cold plate for my birthday or christmas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 02:20:34 PM »
Also, there are way cheaper alternatives to the SI cart. This is what I use and I like it because it sits up higher than the SI cart:
http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/service-carts/24-inch-x-36-inch-steel-service-cart-5770.html
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 02:25:50 PM »
stout, ordering the accessories after the fact tends to be at a premium, shipping costs are usually almost as much as the accessory.  Maybe consider getting one of your items with your order. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
Before I ordered my 3D last month I had checked the Facebook page and only the analog models were posted there. I e-mailed Steve and asked him if he was going to discount the 3D on FB and he said that the "D" models would not be going on FB.   I just looked at his FB page and don't even see the "Store" there anymore.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »
The Store is still there, but still only the non "D" models listed.

You just go to the SI page and click "Social Store" option that is listed under Apps on the left-hand side of the screen.

Here is the direct link:
https://www.facebook.com/Smokin-it-182919855212905/app/211311762253380/
Gregg - Fargo, ND

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
stout, ordering the accessories after the fact tends to be at a premium, shipping costs are usually almost as much as the accessory.  Maybe consider getting one of your items with your order.

Dave makes a great point...shipping can be costly, so if you could bundle, it might lower the shipping expense.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2