Author Topic: Baby back ribs  (Read 4734 times)

icebob

Baby back ribs
« on: February 14, 2016, 06:02:51 PM »
I know, I know, I'm just committing the worst sin a backyard Qer can do :o While reading on Chefsteps web site, I found this: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/dry-style-baby-back-ribs, and I had to try it, The only difference I made, since I like my ribs falling off the bones, I cooked sous vide @ 165 for 18hrs... I have now 1 hr left in the smoker, and I will prolly Searzall the thing just to get a nice crust on top... can't wait!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Baby back ribs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 06:56:50 PM »
I watched the video, all that effort and he couldn't get a clean bite.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »
I watched the video, all that effort and he couldn't get a clean bite.

+1!  I am finding sous vide to be a very useful, and fun, cooking tool, but I'll stick to the SI for ribs!  I would venture to say that dude has never had ribs anywhere close to what we can do in the SI, or he wouldn't have been so proud of what he showed us!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 07:59:42 PM »
Watching the video reminded me of when I was growing up, "shake'n bake" commercials and the ribs looked great!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:12:40 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

icebob

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 08:02:12 PM »
Didn't watch the video... just cooked my ribs with the idea.... let me tell you something, I will not by afraid to serve those to any visit I may have... I just coat them with sauce, rub  em and in the water bath before going to bed last night, took em off this afternoon, lil more rub and in the smoker.... I think I got a "clean bite" out of them! I'm not saying this is the way to cook ribs, I'm just saying I did it and they were frikkin good ;)

Bob from Cahokia, IL

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
I can appreciate the sous vide technique shown here as a method of tenderizing the ribs prior to smoking. We all use various techniques...brine, or rub and refrigerate overnight, and other methods to enhance our end product, so sous vide is just another option or "tool" for preparation here, to create an end product that is appealing to specific tastes. I don't think the post implies that the sous vide step is necessary for great baby backs on the SI, but if you have sous vide and want to experiment with incorporating it with your SI, go for it. Since I already have the Anova, sounds like it would be fun combine with the SI. Rather than just salt, I might try putting some rub on the ribs before sous vide, then again before smoking.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:43:44 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »
exactly what i did thin coat of sweet baby Ray's, dizzy dust rub before the bath and more rub before the smoker...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 10:13:48 PM »
I can appreciate the sous vide technique shown here as a method of tenderizing the ribs prior to smoking. We all use various techniques...brine, or rub and refrigerate overnight, and other methods to enhance our end product, so sous vide is just another option or "tool" for preparation here, to create an end product that is appealing to specific tastes. I don't think the post implies that the sous vide step is necessary for great baby backs on the SI, but if you have sous vide and want to experiment with incorporating it with your SI, go for it. Since I already have the Anova, sounds like it would be fun combine with the SI. Rather than just salt, I might try putting some rub on the ribs before sous vide, then again before smoking.

+1, but it still seems like an awful lot of extra work, when SI Lazy Q ribs are so easy, and good!  Don't get me wrong...the SV method has its place, and I look forward to finding ways to enhance what can be done in combination with the SI, but I think I'll leave my ribs alone. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 01:02:00 AM »

+1, but it still seems like an awful lot of extra work, when SI Lazy Q ribs are so easy, and good!  Don't get me wrong...the SV method has its place, and I look forward to finding ways to enhance what can be done in combination with the SI, but I think I'll leave my ribs alone. ;)

Good point! I'm too lazy to even do the 3-2-1, or any sort of wrap or sauce during the cook. And they turn out perfect. So it's pretty unlikely I would want to make the process more difficult for ribs. It's the whole point of LazyQ.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
I guess the definition of lots of extra work vary from one to the other ;) The only real extra step here was to put the rib in a pouch and in the water bath before going to bed! The day after was business as usual for rib, just a lil shorter! Don't get me wrong, I will probably cook my ribs the conventional way most of time, but it was fun to try and I will do it again for sure. My son loved them and, at the end of the day the most important is that you like what's in your plate! Next time I may try pork butt just to stir thing up a lil more 8)
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »
Lol....stir away, Bob! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas