Author Topic: Sous Vide on a BBQ forum?  (Read 2393 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Sous Vide on a BBQ forum?
« on: February 14, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
With my latest interest sous vide, I've been questioning my enthusiasm for posting sous vide on an SI forum. But I've realized that so many of the things that make me passionate about BBQ, and specifically the SI, go hand-in-hand with sous vide. So it seems appropriate to share information, as well as how to incorporate sous vide with the SI. Here are a few reasons that SI people would also relate to sous vide.

1) Those of us who enjoy BBQ, enjoy low and slow cooking. We are patient. We are frugal. The rewards outweigh time. The ability to use less expensive cuts of meat, and transform them into their truest and most flavorful potential gives us great satisfaction. Fans of sous vide share these same principles.

2) If you have purchased an SI, then you have bought into LazyQ. You have rejected the BBQ snobs and purists. And after some time, you have realized that it's not just LazyQ, it's AwesomeQ! You are trailblazers. Foodies. There is nothing more lazy than SI BBQ... and sous vide. Both processes are so easy to fit within a lazy schedule. And complement each other. From finishing smoked products from the SI, to reheating vac sealed SI leftovers, to just cooking meals on the days when we don't smoke on the SI. It's in our blood.

3) Many of the "gadgets" a lot of us SI folks already own, tend to cross over into sous vide. Vacuum sealers. Cambro containers. Searing devices. So it's a natural fit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:38:44 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

Re: Sous Vide on a BBQ forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »
I'm a new owner of the SI (1.5 month) and the Anova, and to be honest I'm having a blast with both! I even bought a second Anova so even if I'm into a multi days cook, I have one avail for my daily needs... And a big thx to you Kari for all the useful info you post in here!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »
My birthday is in March, and guess what I am requesting???  I really want to try out the sous vide option!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
Once again, Kari - Very well-put!  It's not about a choice between the two cooking methods!  They are NOT in competition, in my mind.  These two can work in concert with each other, like mine are today!  The SI #2 got 5 hours of work, smoking my corned beef for pastrami.  The Anova has taken over for the next 48!  Best of both worlds!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!