Author Topic: Valentine's Day Dinner for my Trophy Wife  (Read 5159 times)

RG

Valentine's Day Dinner for my Trophy Wife
« on: February 14, 2016, 03:38:59 PM »
She wanted brisket, she got it! I experimented a little on this one and was happy with the results. I did my usual routine, injected with Fab-B Lite and used my normal rub that my wife makes (she is the official rub maker in the house). The only difference was that after I injected it and let it hang out in the fridge for a few hours I took it out and sprinkled a light coating of Morton's TQ on both sides of it and massaged it in and let it sit out on the counter for about 15 minutes. I then rinsed it off well and patted it dry. I applied the rub and off to the #3 it went for a sleepover. The result was a nice but not exaggerated smoke ring. It made zero difference in the taste, which is good. Pleasing to the eyes and the palate!

I made some Brunswick stew yesterday and served it up as well as some vinegar slaw and some hand cut fries. It was a great meal and now I am so full I feel miserable. Would I do it again? Yeup!! :P

Jason from Conyers GA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Valentine's Day Dinner for my Trophy Wife
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »
That Brunswick Stew sounds interesting. Have you posted the recipe yet?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

RG

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »
Gregg, I have not. I am kind of weird about 3 things that I make that I keep a close guard over. My BBQ sauce that I make for my ribs, Brunswick Stew and my Brisket Chili recipes are ones that I am stingy on. I know it sounds childish. I gave my brisket chili recipe to a guy who said he was going to open a restaurant and serve it and told me he was going to call it Jason's Brisket Chili. I told him NO!! :)

I gave my BBQ sauce recipe to someone who went out and won $2000.00 in a BBQ sauce competition and never even thanked me. The stew recipe has been given to 4 people in my life. My brother being one of them and he can't make it even with the recipe. It's all about technique and my ingredients tasting the way they do I suppose. He used to make it and give it away to people telling them it was "His Brother's Brunswick Stew Recipe" and I never had the heart to tell him to quit calling it mine because it tasted nothing like mine!

I can tell you that there is no shortage of recipes for it on the net and it does have quite a history. Virginia says it's theirs, we in Georgia say it's ours....who knows? I do know that the original version had squirrel and whatever else they could find. Mine has pulled pork and chicken, potatoes, creamed corn, onion, tomatoes and other goodies. It's a good dish to accompany BBQ in the South. Mine has a peppery kick, nice on cold days.
Jason from Conyers GA

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
Good tip on the TQ, I'll have to give that a try!
Did Valentines Day Baby Back Ribs for lunch, turned out great!
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
Looks fantastic, Jason! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
Gregg, I have not. I am kind of weird about 3 things that I make that I keep a close guard over. My BBQ sauce that I make for my ribs, Brunswick Stew and my Brisket Chili recipes are ones that I am stingy on. I know it sounds childish. I gave my brisket chili recipe to a guy who said he was going to open a restaurant and serve it and told me he was going to call it Jason's Brisket Chili. I told him NO!! :)

I gave my BBQ sauce recipe to someone who went out and won $2000.00 in a BBQ sauce competition and never even thanked me. The stew recipe has been given to 4 people in my life. My brother being one of them and he can't make it even with the recipe. It's all about technique and my ingredients tasting the way they do I suppose. He used to make it and give it away to people telling them it was "His Brother's Brunswick Stew Recipe" and I never had the heart to tell him to quit calling it mine because it tasted nothing like mine!

I can tell you that there is no shortage of recipes for it on the net and it does have quite a history. Virginia says it's theirs, we in Georgia say it's ours....who knows? I do know that the original version had squirrel and whatever else they could find. Mine has pulled pork and chicken, potatoes, creamed corn, onion, tomatoes and other goodies. It's a good dish to accompany BBQ in the South. Mine has a peppery kick, nice on cold days.

I can respect that.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

RG

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
Looks fantastic, Jason!

Why Thank You ;) The Mrs. was happy with it so that's always good.
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:28:16 PM »
Looks fantastic, Jason!

Why Thank You ;) The Mrs. was happy with it so that's always good.

That's what it's all about!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 07:53:13 PM »
I'll give this one a try:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/brunswick-stew-recipe2.html

I've got plenty of "smoked" meats ;>)

Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »
Jason - your smoke ring looks perfect, so your Tender Quick technique paid off. And I feel privileged to have received your pizza dough recipe. :) Maybe you should open a restaurant, or officially "license" your recipes to a legit restaurant, then make gobs of money. There is obviously some serious cooking coming out of that household.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 09:57:25 PM »
Thanks Kari! You're too kind,  I appreciate it!
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
Yesterday was a 2fer.  We celebrated Valentines Day and our daughter, Stacy's birthday.  Family tradition gives Stacy full menu selection rights so we went Asian for dinner and a caramel toffee cheesecake for dessert.  In fact, a slice of cheesecake with my coffee this morning is sounding pretty good the more I think about it.

Dinner, Char Siu pork, chicken fried rice, pork chow mein:

Dessert:

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »
Dave, do you know what's wrong with that meal?

Not a damn thing!! LOL

Looks great sir!
Jason from Conyers GA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »
Nicely done Dave!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Texan in Tulsa