Author Topic: Newbie in VA - need your bacon tips!  (Read 1264 times)

1Valady

Newbie in VA - need your bacon tips!
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
Just bought a Model #2 and have more ideas in my head than I have time to execute!  Tried making Bacon Candy and was moderately pleased with the first batch, but it had a slightly "artificial" aftertaste.  The only thick-sliced bacon I could find was either apple wood or hickory smoked already. We're wondering if that could be the cause.  Was also told the brown sugar would absorb the smoke flavor quickly, so how to do I minimize that?  Anybody out there have pointers on what kind of bacon to start with?  And what wood type would not be too overpowering for such thin meat?  Thanks!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Newbie in VA - need your bacon tips!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
Here is a link of what I have done before, see how it compares.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2733.msg21744#msg21744
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Newbie in VA - need your bacon tips!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 01:08:59 AM »
How much wood did you use? I would think for this type of smoke 1-2 ounces of wood would be plenty.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.