Author Topic: Fire In The Hole!  (Read 7972 times)

Dockmaster

Fire In The Hole!
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
Last night my son set out to smoke a Butt in his #2 but in short order the box temp hit 290.  He found the wood was on fire in a big way.  He got that removed and started again but got the same results.  I'm at a loss.  Would you let it burn itself out??  How do you keep this from happening?  Advice???  Thanks.
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

kz0m

• Carl
Re: Fire In The Hole!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
Hi Steve, sorry to hear about the burn!
This happened to me early on with my #3 before I got the 3D.  I was using very dry wood, the wood actually came from outside a grocery store used for smoking in a standard grill, not a smoker, it was VERY dry and before long, my temperature was higher than I had set it to and there was a lot of white smoke pumping out of the unit.
I have since learned several things, 1:  Use quality chunks of wood, I highly recommend www.smokinlicious.com  their moisture content is around 20%+ and burns slowly and will not catch fire like your son experienced.  2.  If you are using a dryer wood then use a foil boat, wrap the wood up in foil or at least half wrap in foil so it won't catch fire.  3.  If you don't already have one, get a chip screen to place in the bottom of your fire box, this also helped with my smokes.  4.  You can place the wood in the back of the fire box, it seems that is the cooler spot of the element so that may help from starting the wood on fire. 
I will say since I received my shipment of smokinlicious wood, I haven't had that issue at all anymore, that alone will probably solve the problem.

Hope that helps, there are others here that will also help out but the information I listed, I actually learned right here on this forum ;>)

Carl
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:53:14 AM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

Dockmaster

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
Thanks Carl.  The other Fire entry is actually my son!  I didn't know he was going to bring the problem up.  Thanks again for the good advice.
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
Carl hit your issue right on the money!   The wood combustion typically only occurs once within the first 30 minutes or so.  I have observed it when the box temp hits around 180F.   You get the short puffs of smoke, and then a big burp of smoke, which is when I think the fire is extinguished.   After that, the wood should go ahead and just smolder with catching fire again.    So, no need to remove the wood, just let it snuf itself out and the smoke can move forward.

I have avoided the belch since I bought smokinlicious wood chunks.  I also put the wood chunks in the back of the wood box where I guess my element does not get as hot.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »
The first time you experience the "Belch" is kinda scary. Quality wood is the key. It also helps to see where your wood burns the most in the wood tray so you know where to set it the next time..........
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
I'd add, how did you know it was on fire?

I'm guessing someone opened the box, which will draw in tons more air/oxygen which will fuel the flame.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
Good point. Do not open the door. Even with overly dry wood for your first smoke...just let it happen, then adjust from there. You will probably stilll have pretty good results. The foil wrap on the whole block, except the top surface, is a good starting point for "big box" or Weber woods. You will eventually find that better wood sources like smokinlicious.com will for the most part eliminate combustion issues.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »
I have wondered how Smokinlicious got such good fresh wood, maybe this tells the story ;-))

Carl
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:04:29 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

Dockmaster

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 07:46:16 AM »
Thanks a lot guys.  Lots of good info as usual.  And yes, in his concern for fire my son did open the door.  Still new to this operation I think I would have done the same . . . but now we know!  Thanks again to you all.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
Steve, do you have a chip screen?  I don't buy the "special" wood and have controlled flame up by using some foil on the bottom of the wood box and the chip screen.  There are several ways to mitigate the problem. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Dockmaster

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 12:23:44 PM »
I do have a chip screen, SuperDave.  So, you put foil on say half the bottom of the fire box with the chip screen on top of it.  Then the wood over the area with the foil? 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
Yes.  For most of us, the back of the box is not near as hot as the front.  Do a little experimenting without meat in the smoker.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:31:46 AM »
My smoker is the opposite. The back of my smoke box is the hottest.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Dockmaster

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 06:47:09 AM »
Thanks, Guys!  I'm on it!

jaxtinner

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
OK guys,  I smelled burning wood, and I know the difference between burning and smoldering.  Thanks for the advise; I just didn't want to risk letting the wood burn and ruin my pork.  I will try an experiment, as suggested, to find the hot-spot and experience a "Belch".  Thanks to my Dad and all who put effort into helping me with my problem.   Much appreciated.  At the end of the day, my butts turned out great and fed us all weekend.  Thanks for the help and we will conquer!!!!
Zack in Jacksonville, FL   Masterbilt 5 in 1, Weber kettle grill, ECB, Kenmore grill, Smokein=it #2, two dogs, four cats, and a partridge in a pear tree!!!!