Author Topic: Had to change course - - NEED HELP / ADVICE!  (Read 4645 times)

NVW-SSV

Had to change course - - NEED HELP / ADVICE!
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:35:47 PM »
Had to change course for a gathering tomorrow at 11am.

I have an 11.60 lb butt for a going-away party for a supervisor......looks now like that isn't going to be enough meat - people heard I was cooking and the replies to attend kept coming in.  Went to grocery store and got two (7.2#/7.6#) butts to have more product.

Problem is - -  I have (DM's) brined and rubbed the first one (11.6#) and it's in the fridge.  What are my options for this 11.6 pounder ?  1) Fridge for (x number of?) days and then cook? 2) Can I vacuum seal/freeze this one and then just smoke it later? Note: it was bought fresh 3) Do I have to go ahead and cook it, after the other two finish?

Need some help. Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:39:38 PM by NVW-SSV »
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

Walt

Re: Had to change course - - NEED HELP / ADVICE!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:13:28 PM »
Vac seal & freeze. I prep all meat i buy then vac seal & freeze. It makes it real easy to slow thaw then throw right into the smoker.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NVW-SSV

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:25:53 PM »
THANKS for the reply, WALT.   My hangup is, I don't want to have too much salt in the vacuum saver bag, from the rub I've already applied.  Could that possibly affect the meat?  Guess I could just wash off the rub and not worry about it -  better to waste 75 cents of rub than possibly mess up a $18 hunk of meat.

The rub I used is Weber Honey garlic rub, from Sam's Club ($5.88) and it has 180mg per teaspoon. 

Gluten free, no MSG......I highly recommend.  Makes one tasty butt with excellent bark

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:27:52 PM by NVW-SSV »
Jody from western NC

3.5D Wifi (07/18)

Walt

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
I apply rub as well. The meats are completely prepared (brined, injected, binder & rub or whatever is being done to them). No ill effects. However, if it makes you uncomfortable rinse an apply after dethawing. Or, use this one as an experiment & test for yourself.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
I think freezing with halt the salt penetration.

But, if it were me I think I would just smoke it and then pack and freeze. I regularly smoke an extra butt and then pull, portion and vac seal to be used later.

Reheat by placing the vac sealed bag of food in a pot of simmering (not boiling) water and the results will be as good if not better than the day you smoked it. I think the mellowing time lets the smoke equalize throughout the meat and often times tastes even better when reheated. And what better feeling is it to pull a pack of smoked pulled pork out of the freezer and on a whim have pulled pork without having to go through the brining/smoking steps.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
Cook the 11 lber and one of the 7 lbers. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NVW-SSV

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »
Thanks for the help, I appreciate all the input.  Several options, several ideas.  I appreciate you all helping out a brother in his time of desperation and need.

Buford T.
Jody from western NC

3.5D Wifi (07/18)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
I'm with Walt and Gregg, Jody.  Just seal it up and freeze immediately.  I don't prefer to freeze with rub on; I'd rather do that fresh, before it goes in the smoker.  If I freeze something brined, I rinse well, dry, then vac pack/freeze.  I think Gregg's right about freezing stopping the salt, but you have to rinse it anyways.  So, why not rinse before you freeze?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NVW-SSV

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
Follow up -

21 men and 3 women made 8 (net)pounds of pulled pork disappear in about an hour, and there were plenty of side dishes to boot ... and when a member this group of chowhounds says "that's the best BBQ I've ever eaten," you've done something right. 

Divot's brine had this pork butt so moist - they just kept on going back for seconds.  Thanks for the help, group. 

Jody from western NC

3.5D Wifi (07/18)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
You needed more pork!

I bet it was a hit
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »
Should have done the big one, too! ;)   Great job, and congrats on the success!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
Way to go, Jody!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 10:27:50 AM »
Good for you Jody! I regularly smoke multiple pork butts and vacuum seal for later use. I also recommend simmering the sealed bag to warm it up. It tastes even better when reheated. Keep up the good work!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
Congrats! It sounds like this was a big success.

Now, you just have to worry about how many other people are going to want you to smoke something for their get together. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
Great job Jody! It's always nice to get those kind of compliments. I'm sure you will be getting plenty of requests for more.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK