Author Topic: Chicken questions  (Read 3193 times)

Sarowe

Chicken questions
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
1) Tony mentioned he does not put liquid in the smoker with skin on poultry.   Why?   In the same way beer can chicken is so good, I would think the extra moisture would help. 

2). If I cook multiple chickens but with plenty of room for airflow between them, how much will my cook times be altered

I'm going to apple cider brine and smoke over Apple.  ( I've done this on my Bradley with good results )

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Chicken questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »
Sarowe, in general you don't need the moisture in the SI because it is so tight that moisture is really held in. Added moisture increases the rubbery skin, which you can deal with by putting the smoked bird that you pulled at 160 into a 500 deg oven for about 10 minutes to crisp the skin. Or you can use a torch! Multiple birds will not appreciably change the cook times, especially if you give a little room around the birds. Can't wait to see pics of the results. P.S. Add your first name and general local to your signature line.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »
Stephen, Bob hit it.  Poultry skin is a moisture barrier, so the extra moisture only effects the outside of the skin.  When I smoke whole birds, I always fill the cavity with equal parts chopped celery, onion and carrots, which creates great internal moisture and stabilizes the cooking.  Added water only makes the rubbery skin even worse.

Multiple birds cook in the same time as one, if spaced out.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Hulk

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »
Going to go against the grain but that's the great thing of the forum. I use a loaf pan with poultry. Apple juice and some spices I find add some mild back flavor into the meat. Whole birds I take the skin off - split pieces or wings I crisp up on the grill and the meat stays moist. Again, we all have our own methods nobody is right and nobody is wrong. 
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »
You are not going to get crispy skin at 225 or 250 no matter what. Water pan, or no water pan. So...if you want to use a water pan...I see no problem with that. If you want to try and crisp the skin "post-smoke" using one of the numerous methods on this forum, whether you use a water pan or not during the smoke process probably has little consequence. I love crispy skin, and I get my fill from other cooking processes, but with smoking, I feed the skin to my dog, because the meat is so succulent from smoking on the SI, I DO NOT miss the skin, and the dog is very happy. Win win.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
Kari, I agree with you but envy your dog.   ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 09:52:59 PM »
Again, we all have our own methods nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

Words of wisdom, Hulk!  So true! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!