Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 6812 times)

Bernbob

New Owner
« on: January 30, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »
     I have been shopping for a smoker for a couple of weeks and came across this site. Read posts for a few days and placed my order for a #2. Arrived yesterday, unpacked with the wife, and seasoned by the evening. In the meantime I brined a 9# pork butt for about 18hrs, and it is now sitting in the fridge with a rub (24hrs by the time I start smoke). When my Maverick tells me 190 I will pull it and take some pics and repost on how good it turned out.
     By the way, this is the first time I have ever smoked meat. Have smoked thousands of mullet(in mostly homemade smokers), a ton of chickens(always in a Weber grill), but never a piece of meat or pork.
     A couple of questions if I may: As a standard, can I foil boat my chunk wood for a slower smoke, or is that a good idea. I just wanted the smoke to last as long through the cook as possible. Also, is there really a big difference between chunk and chips, as long as they are both used correctly. I was thinking about wrapping both in foil for a slower smoke.
     Secondly, has anyone tried smoking wild hog. Tried it once at a friends house and thought it was heaven. Loved the gamey flavor. I don't hunt, so would have to find someone in the area who would sell it to me.
     And, thanks to all those who post on this site for all your great information and support. I know that if I do searches and keep reading that all my questions will be answered, but how else do I get to know people and make contacts without posting.
Bernie from Palmetto, Florida. Married high school sweet heart 47 years ago(yes we are still happily married). Raised 2 fantastic children(a nurse and a cop)who provided us with grandkids. Do a lot of camping with our cat.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: New Owner
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
Have smoked thousands of mullet(in mostly homemade smokers)

I grew up in Michigan eating smoked Chubs and Whitefish, but loved Smoked Mullet while I lived in Florida for a few years in the 90's, awesome you were doing your own.

In regards to your current smoke, I can only tell you what I do.  I never "foil", "boat", or soak my wood. I select the appropriate size chunk and toss it in the back of the fire box, without worry. For a 9 pound butt I would use a piece a little smaller than two packs of cigarettes, or two pieces that equal that amount.

These units are efficient it takes less would than you would think.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Bernbob!   You will love the #2...I know I do and have been smoking with it pretty much every weekend for the past 3 years.    As to your questions, I always use wood chunks (not chips), and I toss the chunk in the back of the wood box without foiling.   I used to foil boat the wood, but that was only to prevent combustion.  I have found, though, that I avoid combustion by placing the wood in the back of the bow, so I stopped foiling.   For a long smoke like BB, I would recommend 5-5.5oz of wood.  You will be surprised how little wood is necessary to get a good smoke flavor.   I use a kitchen scale to weigh the wood chunk.

Good luck with your first smoke, and be sure to stop back with some pics!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

JackT

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
Always good to pick up on your shared experiences. When I recently purchased my 3D, I also received a screen for the smoke box that would allow the use of wood chips. Having always smoked with charcoal, I regularly foil wrapped chips and chunks to keep them from combusting. If I do use the chips, I would still wrap them to get all the smoke out of them before they go to ash. As I type, I've just placed 4 racks of bb ribs on my 3D at 225 for 6 hours with 6 oz of applewood chunks, a pan of apple juice hugging the burner box and a generous coating of my version of "Magic Dust". If I didn't do everything perfect, I bet in 6 hours there will be no complaints:)
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
Hi Bernbob!  Is it Bernie, or Bob?  A first name, in your signature line (and maybe a town), would clear that up for us.

Congrats, first and foremost!  I'm sure you'll love your new smoker!  As far as foiling wood to make it last longer; it depends on the wood, and what you are smoking.  If you are using dry, big box store wood, definitely foil!  If you are using a good quality wood, like you will find at smokinlicious.com, you may find it's not necessary.  Moisture content is the key.

Duration of smoke?  Meat really only "absorbs" smoke until it hits about 140 internal temp, so smoke after that is really not needed.  Over-smoking is a common mistake many make, when new to BBQ.  Meat does not have to be in the smoke the whole time it's cooking.  Let us know your wood source, and we might narrow-down our suggestions.

The best way to get to know folks, around here, is to participate and post!  Soon, you will learn who knows about things that strike your interest.  If you see that someone seems to have knowledge you seek, the very best way is to start a new topic and ask the question.  This helps the community, and you might just get an answer that you weren't expecting, but changes your mind about something!  You never know!  Now, it you want to ask technical questions, that may not really "fit" into a new post, use Personal Message (PM) to contact the member you wish.  Y'all can take from there!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
Tony got it right. Use chunks unless you are doing quick, low-temp or cold smoking (where you might want chips). If your wood is on the dry side, or use "big box" chunks, create a foil boat around the chunk. And the important part, you want quality smoke until the meat reaches 140. After that, no smoke is necessary or advantageous.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and check out smokinlicious.com for the wood to go with your new smoker. Take it from me and many others on this site you really need the right kind of wood and not just any big box store offering. It made a huge difference in my smoking experience with my #3. Just do a search and you'll find plenty of info on wood and specifically moisture content. It matters alot. By the way welcome and I hope you enjoy your smoker as much as we all do.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:48:07 PM »
Do yourself a favor and check out smokinlicious.com for the wood to go with your new smoker. Take it from me and many others on this site you really need the right kind of wood and not just any big box store offering. It made a huge difference in my smoking experience with my #3. Just do a search and you'll find plenty of info on wood and specifically moisture content. It matters alot. By the way welcome and I hope you enjoy your smoker as much as we all do.

+1 on smokinlicious.com wood. I purchased a box of double-filet myself. I used up some of my "Weber" chunks that I had already when getting started, and I needed to "foil boat" those chunks. They were okay. Not terrible. I had no idea how superior smokinlicious wood was until I tried it. My leftover Weber chunks went into my fireplace.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Bernbob

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions and advice. I used my big box hickory chunks(because I had them)for the pork roast and placed them without foil in the back of the smoke box and it worked great.
I brined the 9# pork butt using DM's recipe for about 18 hours, sat with the rub on for about 13 hours and smoked for 13 hours at 225. When it reached a internal temp of 190, I removed it and let rest for about 3 hours. Turned out wonderful. As good as I have ever had. I will do a little experimenting and see if I can make it even better. Might try injecting the next time I make a pork butt.
     Today I smoked 2 whole chickens. Brined for about 18 hours again using DM's recipe. Then they sat with rub for about 4 hours(really got a bunch of it under the skin). Smoked for 3 hours(temp was 165 when I pulled them out). Rested for an hour, before carving them up.
     I have probably smoked 200 chickens on my Weber charcoal grill over the years. They always turned out wonderful. Was always of the opinion I couldn't smoke a better chicken. I smoked them for the kids and their family, neighbors, and friends. Holy Moly was I mistaken. These were more moist, better flavored, very tender, wonderful. I will never go back to the old way. A great investment in a great smoker. Not enough hours in the day to learn everything everyone on this site has to offer. But I will try. Thanks again, Bernie.

Bernie from Palmetto, Florida. Married high school sweet heart 47 years ago(yes we are still happily married). Raised 2 fantastic children(a nurse and a cop)who provided us with grandkids. Do a lot of camping with our cat.

Bernbob

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
Sorry, forgot to post pictures, so here they are.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
Looking real good!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »
Looks incredible, Bernie!  How was the saltiness?  I usually brine butts no longer than 12-13 hours, and chicken no more than 3-4.  Just wondering if they were a tad salty?  Also, as a time-saver, you might consider not letting the rub sit on the butts, after brining.  You get a lot of the flavor from the brine, and the rub may add extra saltiness, too.  As a rule, I rinse butts after brining, immediately coat with mustard and rub, and into the smoker they go.  Just me, though.  If you're good with your results, smoke on, brother! 8)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:40:10 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Bernbob

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
I cut back on the salt when I brined, so the saltiness was fine. I don't like salty foods.
Super Bowl Sunday I smoked a couple racks of ribs. I didn't brine but did rub with the same recipe as the chickens and the butt. Ribs turned out very tender with a great smoky flavor. But had absolutely no flavor from the rub. It was like I hadn't rubbed them at all. Used mustard on them first as a binder, and then brown sugar and some other spices. Guess it all ended up at the bottom of the smoker. Any suggestions.

Grampy

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »
Secondly, has anyone tried smoking wild hog. Tried it once at a friends house and thought it was heaven. Loved the gamey flavor. I don't hunt, so would have to find someone in the area who would sell it to me.

Bernie, Welcome from SW Arkansas! Congratulations on your SI#2 it looks like you are off to a great start. Back to your original post, I have never smoked a whole hog but I have smoked plenty of wild hog hind quarters and shoulders. Smoke them just like you would a pork butt and they turn out great. I prefer wild hogs in the 75 lb-140 lb range for eating. Anything much larger than that have a pretty strong gamey taste. (Personal opinion)  Better check your local game laws before trying to get someone to sell you a wild hog. In some states the sale of wild game is illegal. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 08:18:31 PM »
But had absolutely no flavor from the rub. It was like I hadn't rubbed them at all. Used mustard on them first as a binder, and then brown sugar and some other spices. Guess it all ended up at the bottom of the smoker. Any suggestions.

Hmm...never heard of rub sliding off ribs, especially with mustard as a binder!  All I can think of is that you used too much brown sugar first.  If you use brown sugar in a rub, it's best to keep it to a minimum, and mix it thoroughly with your other spices before applying to the meat.  I guess it's possible that the layer of brown sugar-only (below the spices) melted and slid off the ribs!  I've never used brown sugar, alone, before applying spices, but suspect that's what happened.
Tony from NW Arkansas