Author Topic: Do you need to use more chips than chunks  (Read 2983 times)

TorontoPete

Do you need to use more chips than chunks
« on: January 16, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
I have to burn through 4 or 5 pds of chips before I get some chunks.  Do you need to add more chips by weight than chunks... I gather you should use foil... But not like a pack... Right?  So it's open.. Like a boat in the smoke box. Should I soak half to get smoke later.  Doing a 12 pds brisket.  It's my first large one... And don't want to mess it up.  Any help is appreciated.
Peter from Toronto

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Do you need to use more chips than chunks
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »
Pete, all of my smokes involve a combination of chips and chunks.  Consider buying some chunks and mixing your weight between the two.  Do you have a chip screen?  If you are insistent about all chips, you shouldn't need more by weight but be extra careful to prevent combustion. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TorontoPete

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »
Ya.  Got a chip screen.  Then I guess there is no need for foil at the bottom... Or is that more a personal choice.  I bought some chunk.  So maybe mixing is a good approach.  Thanks.  Didn't think of that... Seems obvious.
Peter from Toronto

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »
The thing with chips is that they will start smoking earlier than the chunks and at a lower temp. So, a combination of the two is not a bad idea.

I use my chips exclusively for low temperature smokes like Jerky and Snack Sticks. Using chunks for these type of smokes and the chunks will not have enough heat to keep them going after the element starts cycling on and off.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.