Author Topic: Smoking cheese  (Read 4513 times)

Eds smoking

Smoking cheese
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
I need some feedback on smoking cheese.  I smoked sharp, mild cheddar and jalopeno cheese.  4 lbs. total.  I used 2.2 oz apple wood from apple tree.  Dried 5 months.  170 degF, 17 minutes heat,cold plate with ice on top,cheese on 2nd rack down with foil boat. Turned unit off 45 min with canning jar over vent.  Wrapped cheese in plastic and put in refrigerator 2 days.  New SI2 smoker.
VERY DISAPPOINTED  It has a nasty taste on it like the ashes in a wood burner smell.  it is bitter.  I have tasted smoked cheese and this taste overrides the cheese altogether.

Anyone know what my problem might be.   

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:49:57 PM by Eds smoking »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
I am not sure if this is the problem or not, but I would suggest not covering the top hole with a canning jar, and instead let the smoke escape from the smoker.  Again, I am not sure and will defer to others, but I wonder if the smoke became too heavy on the cheese by not being able to exit.

I did my first smoke of cheese last week and did pretty much everything you did (I used hickory).   I let the unit heat up to just when smoke started to appear from the top, then shut it off for an hour, and then repeated the process one more time.   The smoked cheese came out very nice with a distinct smoke flavor.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
I agree with Steve about stale smoke due to covering the hole.  However, when you do get it right, the cheese won't taste right for a couple of weeks to a month.  The smoke has to mellow with the cheese.  Wrap and vacuum seal it and put in the back of the refrigerator. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 04:10:15 PM »
+1 on Dave's reply. The mellowing process may take several weeks or even a couple of months. Do not despair and do not freeze the cheese since this will stop the mellowing.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »
+2.   I vac sealed the cheese and put in the fridge for a week before taste testing.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
I wait a minimum of 2 weeks and the longer the better. I know some people that have aged their hard cheeses for years. If you like sharp cheese, the longer the wait the better it will be. I haven't practiced this yet, but my plan this year is to smoke enough so that I can start aging my cheese for 1-3 years.

One thing I haven't done yet is start to wax my cheese. That is definitely going to happen in 2016 some time.

Like others have said, vac-seal and let it set for 2-4 weeks before trying again.

By the way, I see that this was your first post. So I would like to welcome you to the forum from ND. You have found one of the best if not the best (I think the best) smoking forums available.

When you get a minute stop by the Introductions section and introduce yourself.

I'm guessing your name is Ed based on your screen name (yeah I'm smart like that). But, you'll find that most of us add our name and location to our signatures. We like to know our ne friends names and where the live as we are a putting family oriented group here.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 11:49:42 PM »
Hi Ed!  Welcome aboard!

Yes, cheese takes some time to "mellow" after smoking.  I noticed you used apple wood...the first time I smoked cheese, I did too.  I thought it was awful!  Not sure why, but apple is one of those woods that you either love or hate.  Some of the folks that tried my apple cheese loved it, but I hated it!  I've come to realize that I just don't like the taste of apple smoke on anything.

Wood is like any other seasoning!  The flavor profile of different woods is like a spice; you either like it or not.  Hard to believe that smoke has such a profound effect on the flavor of our food, but it sure does!  The more you smoke with different woods, the more you will realize that.  Because our smokers are not mixing the smoke with the heat source (charcoal or wood), the flavor of the smoke is much more "true."  Experiment with different woods, and see the difference!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 12:03:10 AM »
I don't use apple for really anything other than cheese. It is a very popular wood for cheese and cold smoked bacon. Pecan and Cherry are also really good cheese smoking woods.

But Tony's right, some people will like and dislike certain woods. You just have to try them and see which ones you like.

One of the best things about electric smokers verses wood fired, charcoal, and propane smokers is that you can really taste the flavor differences of the woods. You often do not get this with non-electric smokers.

That being said, the severe ashtray taste that fresh smoked cheese can have will go away. So, do not despair.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 01:37:04 AM »
I've done a number of cheese smokes using the same woods each time.  A couple have not turned out well while other were outstanding and I am going to stand by the idea that choking the smoke by blocking the vent hole is just a bad practice. Think less is more with smoke and your cheese.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »
I've done a number of cheese smokes using the same woods each time.  A couple have not turned out well while other were outstanding and I am going to stand by the idea that choking the smoke by blocking the vent hole is just a bad practice. Think less is more with smoke and your cheese.

Absolutely agree with this. That being said, I think Ed's cheese will be OK. He just may have to age his a bit linger than normal.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Eds smoking

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
Thanks all for the support. I am having trouble with posting ,(you have to be logged in.!!!)   I'll leave the cheese sit in the barns cooler for a few weeks. I'll try something sunday with more cheese. But now going to work on some deer jerk, filling all nine shelves with jerk. Its taking longer than my old smoker. but way less wood.Its hard changing an old dog ways.  After this its to smoked salmon. Thanks again everyone.. ED

Absolutely agree with this. That being said, I think Ed's cheese will be OK. He just may have to age his a bit linger than normal.

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
Getting ready to smoke some cheese, probably use Apple or cherry, has anyone had success with peach wood smoked cheese?  I'll be smoking some Swiss, Colby and Gouda cheeses.  Any recommendations of your experiences appreciated.  I have an A-Maz-N 6x6 sawdust smoker and outside temperature about 40, probably smoke 1-2 hours, let set for a while and vacuum seal, refrigerate.
As always, tnx for all the help!

Carl
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:47:03 AM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.