Author Topic: New Model II owner  (Read 1805 times)

13specialk

New Model II owner
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
Need help with my new smoker.  Have tried several types of meats with mixed results. Good results with Boston Butt roast, ok results with spareribs and not very good results with a brisket - tough and dry.  Does anyone have a dry rub receipe that works ok with pork and/or beef?  Also, has anyone used a small water pan in the bottom of the smoker to add moisture to the meat?

Any help would be appreciated.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: New Model II owner
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:03:13 PM »
Yes, small water pan touching the heating element helps.

Small foil / loaf pan.  Add water, apple juice or fav beer.

Some say it really doesn't mater what liquid, but it will evaporate over a long smoke.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
Hi from Colorado 13. For brisket brining will be a big help. See the link on it from the forum: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2160.msg14055#msg14055

Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 11:39:48 PM »
Hey SpecialK, welcome!  Glad you found us!  Please add a first name and town to your signature line - we like to know each other around here!

More on the brisket, please.  Was it a flat, or a full packer cut (flat & point)?  Also tell us a little about your prep.  Did you brine or inject?  Rub?  Time in the fridge with the rub on?  What temp did you smoke it at?  The more we know, the more we can help!  Details help a lot. 

Water pans are very important, in these smokers. I use a disposable aluminum loaf pan, on the floor, up against the smoke box.  This helps with the "no peek" method (door closed until done).  Fill us in on the whole process, and I bet we can help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Hulk

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
I always use a small disposable loaf pan next to the burner. Never worry too much about what's in it (beer, apple juice, little of both) just always make sure it's there.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States