Author Topic: de-skinning ribs  (Read 4058 times)

Oscar

de-skinning ribs
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »
Novice question here:
Am I the only one who struggles getting the thin skin off the bone side of the pork ribs?
I've done ribs three times, and the first time I managed to peel off very thin, slippery film off the meat, but it was really hard to hang onto, and really stuck on.

I can't recall the second time's details, but last week I tried again, and it appeared that there was no skin there at all. I just couldn't get anything started peeling on that one. But the ribs turned out tough, not like the scrumptious first ones. So maybe there was something there I just couldn't manage.

Do ribs sometimes have this skin trimmed off by the butcher? Or do I just need to Man Up and quit whining? 

-Tom
Tom in Allyn, WA (S. Puget Sound)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: de-skinning ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
Tom, I've opened a 3-pack of Sam's ribs before, and found one of the racks already skinned!  Most of the time, they are not.  Best method I've found is one I learned in a Jeff Philips email.  Start in the middle by working a butter knife from edge to edge and creating a pocket.  I've found doing this directly over a bone helps a lot.  Once you create the pocket, grab it from both sides, with your fingers, and lift (like picking up a suitcase).  Hold the ribs down with your free hand.  The silver skin comes off from end to end, in one piece!  I can skin 3 racks of baby backs in about 2 minutes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Oscar

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »
Alright! I have a plan for next time! Me and my butterknife, one-on-one with a rack of ribs, no holds barred!

I'll let you know how this turns out. Thanks for your help.
-Tom
Tom in Allyn, WA (S. Puget Sound)

Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:45:22 AM »
Easiest way I found to remove the skin is to grab it with a paper towel after loosing it up with a butter knife....and rip....

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

RSNovi

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 08:53:07 AM »
I just recently learned about the paper towel method.  It works great and after some practice you can just pinch the back corner with the paper towel and pull.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
Practice,Practice,Practice............I use a butter knive about three bones in...lift up without tearing......get a clean dry napkin and pull towards the center.....since you are 3 bones in that pc lifts up and tear slow and easy towards the other end.

You will get the feel for it the more ribs you cook........I have had some back ribs that seemed the "silver" was glued to the rack and it would not peel off cleanly. I just tossed in the smoker and made short order of it 5 hours later  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

dgold001

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
I've used the PT METHOD for years. PT=Paper Towel.
David G. From Shelby, NC
Marine Dad, Excelsior.
Smokin-It #1

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
Famous Dave scores the silver and after smoking them, he puts them on a charcoal grill and flips and flips em.....silver is gone and you get a extra flavor profile to boot  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »
Tom,

Here is a video how to remove the membrane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fqJcc4n_I

Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »

That's an excellent video Greg! He actually made it look a little harder than it really is, by starting at the very end of the rib rack. I usually start prying up the membrane a couple ribs in from the end. One time, way back when I was a more inexperienced smoker of ribs, I remember workin' at those membranes forever, only to realize they had been removed prior to my purchase. Occasionally, you will find the membrane has been removed... ;D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »

That's an excellent video Greg! He actually made it look a little harder than it really is, by starting at the very end of the rib rack. I usually start prying up the membrane a couple ribs in from the end. One time, way back when I was a more inexperienced smoker of ribs, I remember workin' at those membranes forever, only to realize they had been removed prior to my purchase. Occasionally, you will find the membrane has been removed... ;D

Kari,

You are right, sometimes the membrane has been removed, something to keep in mind!

Greg