Author Topic: 1st brisket, have a few questions  (Read 8949 times)

KyDog

1st brisket, have a few questions
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
i'm doing my 1st brisket on my #2, 8-1/2 lb flat from Sam's. i've read a few of thew of the posts and think i have a good handle on it. i brined it last night for 12 hours in a kosher salt, brown sugar, cider vinegar, pepper, chipotle, garlic, onion powders brine . a few question's, when smoking should the Fat side be up or down( i'm thinking up, not alot of fat), smoking temp?(thinking 225'), internal finish 190-195.  i will be doing just a basic rub (coarse pepper, garlic & onion powder and a little chili powder).
i will use water pan and will not open till IT is reached. Anything i'm missing?
Thanks Dave

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: 1st brisket, have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:56 AM »
Dave,

Looks like a good plan.

Fat side up fat side down, depends who you ask.

I put the fat side down, but then again I also inject the brisket (I don't inject the fat side).

Keep us posted and if you can post a photo or two.

Happy New Years!

Greg

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
Dave,

I agree with Greg, sounds like u have it covered!
I do mine fat side up, inject (sometimes) with beef broth and when meat temp gets to 150 (sometimes) I foil (crutch it) the brisket and monitor temp till it gets to 195.  Different ways but low and slow will get the job done!

Yours will taste great!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

KyDog

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
i'll give it a try and see how it turns out, everything else i've in the #2 has turned out great.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
I have always done brisket with the fat side up.  However, if you have a lot of fat on the top, I think it is better to go fat side down as it protects the meat.   If you keep the fat side up, then score it with a knife to allow the fat to break down and render into the meat. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »
Fat side up to 195, wrap in foil and rest in a cooler lined with towels for 1-3 hours. If you got your brisket from Sam's, it is probably Choice or Prime. So brining should be adequate. I'd recommend injecting for anything USDA Select for sure though.

I buy USDA Prime whole packer briskets from Costco ($2.79/lb), and I don't even brine or inject those (just rub), and they come out melt-in-your mouth floppy and delicious. Buying a flat/only can be a little dry, in that they can be over-trimmed. A lot of times with brisket, it's more about the quality of the meat (or how lazy and how much fat your particular animal had) vs the cooking technique in the SI.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

KyDog

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
Well it's been in smoker for 6-1/2 hrs and stuck at 165, I'm assuming this is the stall. Smoker set at 225, hasn't moved  but a couple degree in 2 hrs. Just let it keep smiling? Or wrap and finish at higher temp?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
Yes, this is the typical stall temp.   You might want to up the temp dial to 235-240, or if you are not pressed for time, just let it go.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

KyDog

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
Thx, let it ride

Walt

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »
With it being 8.5lbs, it should take between 8.5-10 hours @ 225 considering its brined. Let it ride.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

KyDog

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
 ;)

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »
You don't want to "push" your brisket through the stall by raising the cook temp, unless you absolutely are pressed for time. This is where the brisket becomes tender, so enjoy and embrace the stall. The temp might not rise for several hours. You might even see it go down for a while. Patience will pay off in this situation! It will start to rise eventually.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 04:52:53 PM »
+1, if you are  not in a rush, you will be glad that you let it go at 225 -- the stall is magic time!  The briskets that I have done typically run 1 hour/lb.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Durangosmoker

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what kind of wood are you using? I've got my first brisket in the freezer, looking to do it soon.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »
There will be many opinions on that. Beef can take stronger woods. I do a combo of hickory and cherry. Texas-style BBQ will say oak. Even mesquite will be mentioned in the Southwest. The great part is, you can try what you have, then decide what you like. There are no wrong answers!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide