Author Topic: 1st brisket, have a few questions  (Read 8947 times)

KyDog

Re: 1st brisket, have a few questions
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »
Brisket came out perfect, super moist ,melt in your mouth. 10 hrs never opened smoker, large water pan next to box, used hickory. Pulled at 193 IT . appreciate the help.
Dave

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Perfect!  Well done, Dave!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »
I agree with Kari, a lot of advice on different woods.  I do want to make a suggestion for this group, I have found, on eBay, an awesome place to get oak, not just any oak, it comes from the used barrels of Kentucky bourbon, and stills smells like it!  I used this oak and a small amount of mesquite for an awesome brisket!
You get about 80 pieces that are 1-1.5 oz each, $18 & free shipping. That's about enough wood for about 30-40 smokes.  Anyway, the eBay site is 111073541725 if anyone wants to take a look, I've purchased two and I smell the bourbon from the wood in my garage where I have it stored ;-)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:34:55 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 12:07:24 AM »
Carl,

Thanks for the find on the Oak. I just ordered a box. For $18 it's a bargain.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 07:09:12 PM »
Fantastic, Dave!  Flats are hard to keep moist, but looks like you nailed it!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »
I have found, on eBay, an awesome place to get oak, not just any oak, it comes from the used barrels of Kentucky bourbon, and stills smells like it!  I used this oak and a small amount of mesquite for an awesome brisket!
You get about 80 pieces that are 1-1.5 oz each, $18 & free shipping. That's about enough wood for about 30-40 smokes.  Anyway, the eBay site is 111073541725 if anyone wants to take a look, I've purchased two and I smell the bourbon from the wood in my garage where I have it stored ;-)

Great tip. Ordered some.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
I still have half a box of 7-year whiskey barrel oak I got from Maine Grilling Wood.  Smells great, but it doesn't add additional flavor to the meat.  Also, it's really dry wood, so you have to wrap it to keep it from combusting.  Good white oak, though. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
I still have half a box of 7-year whiskey barrel oak I got from Maine Grilling Wood.  Smells great, but it doesn't add additional flavor to the meat.  Also, it's really dry wood, so you have to wrap it to keep it from combusting.  Good white oak, though.

Think I'll vacuum seal it right away to maintain moisture (potential flavor).
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 07:43:04 PM »

Too late.  It's already really dry by the time it's cut from old barrels and sold.  I think I'm going to re-moisturize my by putting in a sealed container with a wet rag, changing the rag every day for about a week.  If you do this, you need to make sure to keep the wet rag in an open plastic bag, not just loose.  The wood will absorb all the moisture!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 07:51:27 PM »

Too late.  It's already really dry by the time it's cut from old barrels and sold.  I think I'm going to re-moisturize my by putting in a sealed container with a wet rag, changing the rag every day for about a week.  If you do this, you need to make sure to keep the wet rag in an open plastic bag, not just loose.  The wood will absorb all the moisture!

Good idea. Wet rag, not in contact with the wood. Should help prevent potential mold issues.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide