Author Topic: Smoking in the rain?  (Read 8222 times)

capsfan

Smoking in the rain?
« on: December 23, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »
I am supposed to be smoking a Christmas Ham on Friday.  The weather forecast does not look promising and I do not have a covered porch. Am I going to damage my smoker using it in the rain?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoking in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:09:20 PM »
Naa, just put a plastic cup, or something, over the control knob to keep the water out.  Should be fine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

capsfan

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 08:22:23 AM »
Thank you, sir.  Merry, Merry 😀

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »
Naa, just put a plastic cup, or something, over the control knob to keep the water out.  Should be fine.

I have done this many times, but use a glass cup as the plastic ones will blow away.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Codered1080

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 11:06:21 AM »
Been smoking a brisket all night pouring down rain just proped up a 2x4 over it it a small peoce of ply wood to keep rain off box

cogGrease

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »
A stick or pvc tube, umbrella, and some duct tape.
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

ijd39

• irv, from missouri
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
This is what I use on my # 1 that I got a lowe's and I leave it in all the time, its heat deflectors that you use in your home, it's got magnets on it but it doesn't stick to the stainless steel so I just put some duct tape on the sides and it's been on there for 2 weeks. cost was under 3.00 I can still turn the nob for temp. and I put cover on with the deflector still on.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:47:12 AM by ijd39 »

Bucket from NW Georgia

• Bucket from NW Georgia
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
Thank you for starting this discussion.  I referenced and used the info contained here. I just completed my 3rd-ever smoke....another Boston butt.  We have had some serious rain / flooding here in NW Georgia over the last few days.  I ran my #2 right through it on Christmas Eve and Christmas.  Took note of the previous post about the glass over the temperature knob.  That is the only "adjustment" I made.  The smoker didn't miss a beat.  Pork was a huge success with family Christmas dinner.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
This is what I use on my # 1 that I got a lowe's and I leave it in all the time, its heat deflectors that you use in your home, it's got magnets on it but it doesn't stick to the stainless steel so I just put some duct tape on the sides and it's been on there for 2 weeks. cost was under 3.00 I can still turn the nob for temp.

This is really brilliant. It can even be kept on when covered for when it rains. Gonna get me one of these real quick.
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »
Cool idea, one suggestion instead of duck tape, you could use Velcro.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »
You could also set the size by sealing the two sides together with some silicone sealant!  That would help with the waterproof part, too! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
I was smoking a rack of back ribs yesterday and we started getting snow flurries half-way through the cook. I set a glass over the control knob and smoked on  8)

Gonna go down the mountain tomorrow and gonna get me one of those heater vents.....and some silicone  and velcro  :) :)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 11:06:55 PM »
The adhesive on Velcro tape sucks and won't hold up well in extreme cold environments. 

Is that vent cover open on the back side?  I might have another securing idea if it is.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:09:39 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 03:13:50 AM »
I always thought these were water resistant/proof smokers? I've smoked in the rain and snow without protecting my knob/light/hole/etc and never noticed issue other than needing to wipe water off the top after the rain. Is covering this knob necessary or is everyone here just taking extra precautions?

I mostly use my HeaterMeter PID to cook these days but I have a bypass switch so I can go back to the analog controller at will.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
I always thought these were water resistant/proof smokers? I've smoked in the rain and snow without protecting my knob/light/hole/etc and never noticed issue other than needing to wipe water off the top after the rain. Is covering this knob necessary or is everyone here just taking extra precautions?

I mostly use my HeaterMeter PID to cook these days but I have a bypass switch so I can go back to the analog controller at will.

I think it is more of taking an extra precaution, but have no evidence to back that up.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.