Author Topic: 2nd smoke - need a test run before Christmas brisket is attempted!  (Read 8884 times)

71Rcode

• DFW
Guys, thanks again for all the great input on my failed first smoke last week. (dry ribs). I'm hoping you can mentor me toward hero status Christmas day, where my wife promised the family (20 people) that I'd be preparing brisket for everyone.

I'd like to smoke something tomorrow (Sunday 12/20 or Monday 12/21) to test my skills for the brisket. I'll be in a better position this time as my two Thermoworks ChefAlarms arrived today (YES!), one for the meat and one for the smoker interior temps.

What do you recommend? Some slab of beef/pork where I can monitor the temps, ideally. What do you think? Thanks in advance!
Model #2 in in north DFW
New to smoking. Want to find a few things that work and stick to it!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 2nd smoke - need a test run before Christmas brisket is attempted!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:12:42 PM »
I would go with a pork butt.  It will take some time - 1 to 1 1/2 hours per lb. And that includes the stall. Prowl around the pork area for recipes, brine, rubs etc. Nothing like getting a good 10 to 14 hour smoke under your belt to build confidence. Also use the search feature for what you want to cook and problem solvers.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
+1 on the in bone boston butt.  Not a picnic, the boston.

20 people?  Thats a lot of rolls!  But they will like it.

If you try the boston butt, I wouldnt worry about the temp in the box, just set it and forget it.

230 degrees, temp the meat to 190 internal to finish.

Many recipes to search for more specifics on pulled pork boston butt on this site. 

Keep us posted.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 11:11:51 PM »
OK, I just read your original post. Doing brisket for Christmas?  Then I would recommend test smoking a brisket and taking notes:  weight, smoker temp, rubs, etc. If it turns out well, repeat. If not so well, adjust.  Butt and brisket are two different animals (no pun intended) but if brisket is for dinner, then I would do the test run with brisket. Disclaimer:  I have never done brisket.  I am a pork fanatic. Good luck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:47:16 PM »
Thanks, guys. Yeah... I agree. I need to test a brisket. Would appreciate any thoughts on that. Will pick up something tomorrow.
Model #2 in in north DFW

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »
Go the brined and injected route. The recipe is in the beef section. I would stay simple on the rub, salt, pepper, and garlic to keep the beef flavor coming through.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »
Gents, I have a 13.5 lb packer brisket (USDA Choice) trimmed, rubbed and wrapped in the refrigerator ready to drop into the smoker tomorrow afternoon (Dec 24). Couple of questions for the experts as this is my first brisket.
  • The brisket is 18" long - she's about 3" too long to fit in #2. Should I cut it in half? Or just cut the 3" or so off the flat end?
  • Would you agree that I should put the brisket on the second to the top shelf? And should I place it in straight in or sideways? (planning on fat side up)
  • Apple juice, water or beer in the tin pan touching the firebox? (I'm going to use 6oz of Hickory)
  • I'm planning on setting the smoker at 225 and spritzing the meat after a few hours (when the bark is strong) with apple juice every hour or so (thinking 3-4x for spritzing). What do you think?
  • I'm also planning on foiling the brisket when the internal brisket temp hits 165 - and then pulling the brisket when the internal temps hit 205, dropping it in a clean/dry/room temp cooler. Any issues with this plan?
Thanks again for all the help.
Model #2 in in north DFW

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
1) If I made a cut, it would probably be 4" off the flat for insured air flow.
3)Water.
4) No spritzing required.  Opening the door that many times will be to the meats detriment.
5)Start toothpick testing your meat at 195 and remove to rest when the toothpick effortlessly goes in and out of the meat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:16:14 PM »
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate it! Will report back on my progress. Going to take my oldest deer hunting in the morning and I'll get the brisket started in the afternoon when we get back.
Model #2 in in north DFW

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 10:40:23 PM »
71 - you can put the brisket in diagonally, and let it curl up on the ends.  It will shrink pretty fast, and you'll find it fits fine when you open the door later!  I've done several full packers in the #2 like that.  Cram it in, it shrinks.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:07:35 PM »
I agree with DM, place it diagonally & dont worry if it touches the door initially. Also, no spritzing or foil needed. I cooked two 12 pounders last weekend in my #2. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

capsfan

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 09:28:16 AM »
Don't Spritz the water pan does that for you.  I do like to foil I think it speeds up the cook by powering through the stall. Checkout http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html.  Add your apple juice or beer to the wrap.  Don't forget to allow time to sit in a cooler and rest.  I like two hours, but at least one. Good luck. Merry Christmas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »
I never foil, because I do NOT want it to power through the stall. The stall is where the magic happens and I don't want to push through this magic time.

Also, I would take out at 190 verses 195.

Definitely skip the spritzing. Totally unnecessary in these well insulated and moisture deprived smokers.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »
I never foil, because I do NOT want it to power through the stall. The stall is where the magic happens and I don't want to push through this magic time.

Also, I would take out at 190 verses 195.

Definitely skip the spritzing. Totally unnecessary in these well insulated and moisture deprived smokers.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

+1!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »
Thanks, guys. Cranked it up 45 minutes ago and set the temp on the #2 at 225. My ChefAlarm regulating the temp inside the smoker has already hit 245 degrees and then after I dialed it back to 220 and waited awhile before dialing back to 225, she hit 252...which worries me a bit and tells me a bit more about what happened to my dry ribs two weeks ago.

I bumped the #2 back down to 220 degrees and the red power light went off. She's bumping back up to the mid 240s before the power shuts off. BTW, I crammed the brisket in there diagonally. Good call on that one.

(the reason I'd like to go with foil is I can't have another experience with the meat drying out...at least not on Christmas day  :-\ )
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:16:29 PM by 71Rcode »
Model #2 in in north DFW