Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 18779 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »
So I'm gathering, Bob!  If this is all it's made out to be, I'm going to cold smoke one for 3-4 hours, then SV for at least 3 days!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »
Looks pretty fancy to me with the veg, au jus and horseradish sides. I'd put it up against prime rib any day. Chuck is very flavorful.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »
So I'm gathering, Bob!  If this is all it's made out to be, I'm going to cold smoke one for 3-4 hours, then SV for at least 3 days!

Tony, I think you are onto something with the pastrami idea. I'm working on a plan for that one, unless you get to it first.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 08:22:57 PM »
I have a brisket flat in the brine that I was planning to turn into Montreal Smoked meat t5his week end.... I may beat you both :P
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 08:24:35 PM »
You may beat me, Kari!  I'd like to at least get one in the brine this weekend.  A brisket flat is probably my first choice, but I know lots of folks use other beef cuts.  Suggestions, anyone?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:21 PM »
You may beat me, Kari!  I'd like to at least get one in the brine this weekend.  A brisket flat is probably my first choice, but I know lots of folks use other beef cuts.  Suggestions, anyone?

I will probably go with a brisket flat for the pastrami. Unless I can get my hands on some beef navel. Have to make a phone call for that, but can probably get it if I put a little effort in. I think some people even use some sort of cut from the round, but I would think that would be way too lean for pastrami.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
so 3 to 4 hrs at 130/140f in the smokers , after that sous vide for let's say 3 days... you would still steaming it for finish?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:33:44 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 08:33:13 PM »
I wouldn't think so, Bob.  I think the SV finish will take care of that...no moisture loss.  I plan on 140; seems I remember Brian (Pork Belly) saying that was a good temp for pastrami.

Oops...The temp Brian uses on pastrami is 150.  That's where I'll do the 7.6 lb brisket I just put in the corned beef brine!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:05:53 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 08:40:49 PM »
so 3 to 4 hrs at 130/140f in the smokers for 2 to 3 hrs, after that sous vide for let's say 3 days... you would still steaming it for finish?

My initial research for pastrami shows to smoke at 150 for 5-10 hours. Then sous vide at 140-143.6 for 72 hours, or 149 for 48 hours. I would lean toward the lower temp for 72 hours. That is my preliminary findings. No steaming necessary.

Edit: After thinking about it, I like your 130/140 smoke for 3-4 hours. (5-10 hours at 150 might be too smoky, considering that the sous vide process will probably enhance, and penetrate the smoke.) Then I also like the idea of sous vide at 140 for 3 days.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:10:11 AM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
Even the leftover nuked at work today was awesome :P
Bob from Cahokia, IL