Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 18768 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
Got my Anova today!  Yay!  I haven't been this excited about a new cooking device since I got my first SI!  Looks to be well-made, and had no problem synching with the WiFi.  Can't wait to try this bad boy out this weekend!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SUMORAY

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 10:10:17 PM »
That really looks incredible . Wow

icebob

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »
Ok Kari, you got me curious, so right after I pulled tonight's Rib Eyes, out of the bath, I just trew a 3# boneless chuck roast in there. Set temps to 131f and planning to have it for Thursday's dinner. Just salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of olive oil. We'll see how it ends up.
Bob from Cahokia, IL

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »
Ok Kari, you got me curious, so right after I pulled tonight's Rib Eyes, out of the bath, I just trew a 3# boneless chuck roast in there. Set temps to 131f and planning to have it for Thursday's dinner. Just salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of olive oil. We'll see how it ends up.

Sounds about right to me. When done give it a quick sear at a high temp in a cast iron pan, grill or with a torch. And post pictures!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 11:44:49 PM »
Here are some pics of my second slab of sous vide chuck. This time served with a grilled caesar salad (head of romaine sliced in half lengthwise, then charred on flat size), grilled naan, and au jus.

Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »
That looks great, Kari!  I'm thawing a chuck roast now....should go in the bath tomorrow for Saturday!  Did chicken breasts at 150 yesterday...not near as impressed as the steak.  I think I need to go 160-165 next time.  The texture was weird.  Not that it was bad, it just didn't "feel" right.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Limey

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
Tony, I agree with you on the chicken. Maybe just what we are used to but certainly a very different texture. Perhaps it would work fine in chicken salad?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 07:47:57 PM »
Not sure, Roger.  Like I said, it wasn't bad, but I just guess I've had chicken more "done" my whole life, and am used to the texture at 165.  I'll report how it goes!  Killer on beef, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »
I can totally understand the texture issue with sous vide chicken breasts. Your brain and previous experience is directing you to expect a fairly firm product. Moist and tender is where sous vide chicken breasts excel. I have used mine in chicken salad as Roger suggested, and they are great there. I enjoy rare meats, and raw sushi, so that soft texture thing to me is desirable, and something not weird to me. But sometimes the texture of sous vide poultry requires a re-programming of the mind and taste-buds. Sometimes the brain interprets something with that texture to be undercooked, dangerous, and risky to eat, even though it is cooked. Thus, it is not an enjoyable experience.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
Might be right, Kari; just not sure I want to re-program my brain for poultry, after as many trips around the sun as I've made eating poultry more firm! ;) ;D   I'm sure 165 chicken will be just as moist, just have the texture I'm used to!
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »
In regards to chicken,  I sv it to 140 and then grill or pan fry it the rest of the way to 165. Works for me! Gives it much needed color and firms it up.
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »
Good idea, Jason!  I'll have to try that.
Tony from NW Arkansas

icebob

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »

Sounds about right to me. When done give it a quick sear at a high temp in a cast iron pan, grill or with a torch. And post pictures!

Tonight was day 4 ;D... Decided to go with Tony's technique and cranked up the oven on roast convection setting at 500f... first pic is right out of the pouch with all the juice collected, second pic is out of the oven, ( 5min timed!) 3rd pic is after slicing it and 4th is actually my plate.. being a week night, nothing extravagant... broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, au Jus and some creamed horseradish...holy sweet Jesus... my butcher is going to wonder what the heck I'm doing with all those chuck roast.... can hang side by side with a prime rib and can keep the head up... Thank you Kari, the 4 days in the water bath really worth it... here's the pics...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 08:10:40 PM »
Now I'm even more excited, Bob!  I have another 46 hours to go, on my little Chuckie in the bath!  I used my Santa Maria steak seasoning, and in at 131.  I am SO looking forward to dinner Saturday! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

icebob

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »
Seriously Tony, this is the broken dude prime rib! I think I need to get at least one more Anova... :-*
Bob from Cahokia, IL