Author Topic: Prime rib roast 1st time  (Read 11666 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Prime rib roast 1st time
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »
Tony, yes I did. Took my 32 day aged roast, rested it overnight with dalmation rub, garlic, and rosemary then into the #2 with 50/50 mix of oak and mesquite (5 oz total). Smoked at 200 deg until IT was 135 deg. Let it rest for 30 minutes and then into a 500 deg oven for 10 minutes. The result was wonderful. Buttery, tender, juicy, and enjoyed by all!  :) Your reverse sere method works great!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 11:49:15 AM »
Fantastic, Bob!  That roast looks wonderful!  Bet the dry-aging made it really, really good.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »
I'm bustin' out my 32 day aged ribeye roast for this Christmas. It is small (about 4.5 lb) but it will be sufficient for my guests this year. I have done the ribeye in the past and I have to say that DM's approach with the reverse sear is awesome. Merry Christmas you guys! Happy smokin'.  ;D
I just bought a 4.25 boneless ribeye roast.  How would you suggest smoking it.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 07:14:15 PM »
Susie-Q, if you like it medium-rare to medium, smoke it at 200 until internal temp is 128-135 (depending on how done you like it.  I find prime rib perfect medium-rare).  Let it rest for 30 minutes, while your oven heats as hot as it will go.  Put your roast on a baking rack in the hot oven for 7-8 minutes to brown the outside; this is called a "reverse sear." 

Check out the link to Christmas prime rib, posted in my first post above.  This explains the low/slow/reverse-sear technique for beef.  Works great!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  This seems too easy!  My boneless prime rib weighs about 4.25 lbs, and I tend to like it rare to medium-rare.  How long should I allow for it to reach 125 internal temperature. . .approximately?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »
I use a little higher cook temp, 225 - 230, and it roughly takes me 45 minutes to 1 hour per pound to reach 130. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »
Tony, yes I did. Took my 32 day aged roast, rested it overnight with dalmation rub, garlic, and rosemary then into the #2 with 50/50 mix of oak and mesquite (5 oz total). Smoked at 200 deg until IT was 135 deg. Let it rest for 30 minutes and then into a 500 deg oven for 10 minutes. The result was wonderful. Buttery, tender, juicy, and enjoyed by all!  :) Your reverse sere method works great!

Bob, that looks great!  Did you use a UMAi bag for aging?

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  This seems too easy!  My boneless prime rib weighs about 4.25 lbs, and I tend to like it rare to medium-rare.  How long should I allow for it to reach 125 internal temperature. . .approximately?

Amazingly, it actually is that simple!  You're looking at about 30-40 min/lb at 200, so I'd plan on 2:15 - 2:45 in the smoker...3, tops.  You can double-wrap in foil, to rest, while the searing oven gets hot.  2-3 oz of wood and a water pan.
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
Carl, yes I did. They really work well.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
Thanks, Dave
I was going to try last weekend but due to bad weather, I'll have to wait til next weekend.  What kind of wood and how many oz. do you recommend?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

MicKM

• Virgin Aussie Smoker in Singapore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 03:28:31 AM »
Susie-Q, if you like it medium-rare to medium, smoke it at 200 until internal temp is 128-135 (depending on how done you like it.  I find prime rib perfect medium-rare).  Let it rest for 30 minutes, while your oven heats as hot as it will go.  Put your roast on a baking rack in the hot oven for 7-8 minutes to brown the outside; this is called a "reverse sear." 

Check out the link to Christmas prime rib, posted in my first post above.  This explains the low/slow/reverse-sear technique for beef.  Works great!!

Hi Tony
Just a quick question you might help me with. If you do a rib roast, do you want the smoke for more than the first 2 hours? Do you add timber to the smoker as you go, or put in the required amount and just let it go?
I'm trying to get my head in the right space?
Best regards and thanx in advance Mick M
Aussie Smoker enthusiast in Singapore

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
Hey Mick, no worries on adding wood. You don't need to! Just put in about 5 or 6 oz of your favorite wood, set 200 deg, close the door, and wait for the desired internal temp. Unbelievably easy!  :) oh, you probably want a water pan too.  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »
Bob,
That's a lot of wood!  Tony says, "2 - 3 oz." and I'm usually in the same range. I've gone as high as 4 oz. and thought it was a bit much.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

MicKM

• Virgin Aussie Smoker in Singapore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
Thanks for the feed back gents.

I was just looking at purchasing the rib eye, thought I would share with you the Singapore prices!!
Aussie Smoker enthusiast in Singapore

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
Wow, Mick!  Those prices are outrageous!!  As far as the wood amount (sorry, I missed your question earlier), I only use around 3 oz on prime rib (give or take an ounce).  Although it's a long smoke, I find that much smoke doesn't overpower the great beef taste, so I don't overdo it. 
Tony from NW Arkansas