Author Topic: Best layer of wood  (Read 3032 times)

GaryH

Best layer of wood
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
I have seen everything discusses regarding the layer of wood that is best. Sapwood, Heart wood, etc.
Thanks,
Gary

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Best layer of wood
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »
I have gone pretty much exclusively with smokinlicious.com wood, which is nothing but clean heartwood - no bark.  Love it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:28:48 AM »
+1. Really love the smokinlicious.com wood. You can tell when pick it up that it just "feels" right, the weight/moisture, and clean pieces. Really different than the big box wood. I don't have any trouble with belches with it either, so I don't have to use the foil boat or ramp-up. Puts out good quality smoke.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
I have to add to the smokinlicous love. Great wood. I do however stray and get peach chunks from fruitawood though. I used to get skids of peach splits from them and they have good wood as well............
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
Seeing as how some of the best Q on the planet is smoked with logs, I have a hard time buying into there being a right answer to this question. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah