Author Topic: Maintenance question  (Read 2176 times)

cogGrease

Maintenance question
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »
Does, or has anyone ever had a mold issue or concern with our SI's? Was curious on everyone's take on cleaning/maintaining their smoker. Just trying to stay ahead of the game.  Thanks.
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Maintenance question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
As long as you don't leave your water or drip pans inside the smoker after your smoke, you shouldn't have a problem.  I have even left racks in the smoker with food particles on them and not had a problem.  I do, however, wash them before starting my next smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

newmexsmoker

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
I wipe the bottom of the smoker out with paper towels and windex every time I am done smoking, add new foil, and ready for the next time.  Very easy

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:08:32 PM »
No problem, just wipe the bottom of the smoker to get rid of residual liquid and you should be fine.   Maybe every three months, I will run the side racks through the dishwasher, but I do clean the racks after every smoke to remove food particles.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
Some clean after every use.

I clean it about once every three months. Routinely change foil. That helps a LOT. Always clean racks and water pan after every smoke... Pretty easy. But when I do it real good... Buy some easy off and spray the bottom pretty liberally. Buy a 4" puddly knife... And leave it with your supplies.

You will find about 20 minutes of real cleaning ever few months is all you need... Aside from the obvious 5 minutes of wipe down and throw away of foil after each smoke.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

cogGrease

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
Sounds good, thanks all.
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker