Author Topic: Bottom foil  (Read 16334 times)

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
Re: Bottom foil
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
Just went out to clean the #2 in preparation for use tonight and found, for the first time, that the foil came right out.  My wife is cheap and rather than throwing away old foil she'll clean and re-use it if it's not really dirty.  I used a couple of those pieces for the bottom of the smoker and it seems like the wrinkles and creases held most of it a little bit off the bottom and did a great job off catching the grease.  Very little grease had gone underneath it either.
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
I reuse the throw away drip pans, but never the foil from inside.

If it works, go for it, my wife does not even like to clean the grates :)

Greg

bigfoot21075

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
Just went out to clean the #2 in preparation for use tonight and found, for the first time, that the foil came right out.  My wife is cheap and rather than throwing away old foil she'll clean and re-use it if it's not really dirty.  I used a couple of those pieces for the bottom of the smoker and it seems like the wrinkles and creases held most of it a little bit off the bottom and did a great job off catching the grease.  Very little grease had gone underneath it either.

Why use any foil at all?  I foil the top to the wood house and that is it, and even then I wonder why I do it. I have an old wooden wok spatula I use to move along any thing on the floor of the smoker to the hole, other than that my beautifully seasoned number 3 now has well over 200 smokes on it with no odd or off flavors detected, even with beef Jerky or fish.

Ever see a seasoned pit? THAT is what a smoker should look like.
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:58 PM »
I have been using the lids from a full sized foil serving aluminum pan. I bought a pack of 15 for $7 at Sam's Club.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bakers-chefs-steam-table-aluminum-foil-lid-full-size-15-ct/prod3210002.ip?navAction=push

I have a big roll of HD Foil from Sam's too, but for the bottom this lids fit just perfect in my #3 and don't tear like the foil does. There is about an inch or so from the sides, but I always get oil under my foil anyhow, so I figured why worry about it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
I use HD foil and it sticks from time to time....might try the pan and forget about foiling..............
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
I use HD foil and it sticks from time to time....might try the pan and forget about foiling..............
I'd love to see a poll of #3 owners that use the pan with no ill effects.  In my #4, it works great because I have a lot of vertical separation.  The pan and meat aren't anywhere near my probe, so, I get accurate readings.  With many of the other model owners there has been complaints about pan interference with keeping accurate temps. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 11:45:17 AM »

Reynolds makes a foil that is one step stronger than Heavy-Duty called "Super-Strength". Available in the wide rolls. That's what I use on the bottom, and have had no trouble with sticking.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:44:42 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
Are people using the foil lids poking a hole in it to let grease/juices run out the bottom (and allow air to come in)?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »
Yes, I punch a hole in the lid. This is really easy to do when the smoke box is removed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

LongBall

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 03:50:01 PM »
I work for Reynolds so I pay almost nothing for the large industrial rolls. I don't have sticking issues at all. I often wonder if heating would work better for the top of the wood box as not foiled. It works well as is so I see no need to change.
SI3 Auber WSD-1500 Probe installed

Bart