Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice - #1 in detached garage?  (Read 9515 times)

pax238

Newbie looking for advice - #1 in detached garage?
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
Total newbie here, looking for advice.

I just got my #1 and am thinking about my setup. I don't really have a good, level outdoor area for a permanent setup without major exposure to the elements.

One option (the obvious one) I was thinking about is storing it in the garage on a cart and wheeling it to the open garage door area to smoke. A second option would seem to be putting it on the bench table that we have at the back of the garage right in front of two casement windows. I could either open the windows and the garage door to get some airflow, or try to attach some flexible venting and put that out the open window when I smoke.

What do you think? Recommendations appreciated.

(Mods: I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move)
Barry from CT
A little bit less of a complete newbie with a #1

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie looking for advice - #1 in detached garage?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
My smoker is on the back deck, but I have has a couple of occasions with rain where I moved the smoker into the garage.  I placed it close to the garage door and ran a floor fan in the front of the garage to push the smoke out.  This worked fine for me, and I suspect it will work for you as well.   If you are willing to give up work bench area, then putting the smoker on the work bench could work, but you will definitely want to somehow make sure that the smoke is exiting the garage.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
Total newbie here, looking for advice.

I just got my #1 and am thinking about my setup. I don't really have a good, level outdoor area for a permanent setup without major exposure to the elements.

One option (the obvious one) I was thinking about is storing it in the garage on a cart and wheeling it to the open garage door area to smoke. A second option would seem to be putting it on the bench table that we have at the back of the garage right in front of two casement windows. I could either open the windows and the garage door to get some airflow, or try to attach some flexible venting and put that out the open window when I smoke.

What do you think? Recommendations appreciated.

(Mods: I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move)

You could make a vent attachment for the smoker, but with as little smoke that comes out of these babies, put a strong exhaust fan in the window.

Another plus, is your garage will always smell great!

Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:34:34 PM »
I really don't see a problem in a detached garage. Leave the garage door open, and you should be able to leave the SI under cover. Should be plenty of ventilation to clear the smoke. It's not like these "billow" smoke. An attached garage might be more of an issue, but detached? I don't even see a need for a fan.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:37:01 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
We had a guy who set up a cool range hood area for his, for in his garage when it was really cold.  Pretty cool.  I've been trying to find it...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »
This is what Tony was referring to. Pretty slick setup.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1257
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
That's it, Gregg!  I knew it was Steve, but couldn't remember which one.  Haven't heard much from the Polish Q in awhile. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pax238

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:46:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The range hood setup is a really nice setup (way beyond what I'm thinking of at this point). I think I'll open the windows and the door and see what kind of cross breeze I get. If it blows in the right direction, I may give it a try on the built in table in front of the windows (after I move the car out... just in case the wind is blowing in the wrong direction).
Barry from CT

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:54 AM »
The SI doesn't put out a ton of smoke, but what it does put out is pretty darn strong.

I would make sure your smoker is placed in front of the window that will pull the smoke out verses trying to blowing the smoke across the garage.

My 2 cents.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

mizzoufan

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
Agreed with it going out the window right by the smoker.  Building a setup using dryer vent tubing should be pretty easy to send it straight out the window.  The only issue that might have is if the prevailing winds are blowing it back in the window.  Heck, for a detached garage, it shouldn't be too hard to put an appropriately sized hole for the dryer vent and put a hood on the outside
Steven from KCMO

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 07:41:48 PM »
Agreed with it going out the window right by the smoker.  Building a setup using dryer vent tubing should be pretty easy to send it straight out the window.  The only issue that might have is if the prevailing winds are blowing it back in the window.  Heck, for a detached garage, it shouldn't be too hard to put an appropriately sized hole for the dryer vent and put a hood on the outside

I don't know if I am missing something, but isn't there a giant opening on one side of the garage, called the garage door? Wouldn't you just wheel the smoker over into the vicinity of said opening? What is all this business with venting out windows and such? Smoke inside the garage, near the open the garage door, rain, snow or shine.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »
+1

Crack the garage door (in bad weather) and a window for cross vent. 

Don't over think it.   I have mine in a screen in porch, never an issue (after the 1st hour:)

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

pax238

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 01:10:28 PM »

I don't know if I am missing something, but isn't there a giant opening on one side of the garage, called the garage door? Wouldn't you just wheel the smoker over into the vicinity of said opening? What is all this business with venting out windows and such? Smoke inside the garage, near the open the garage door, rain, snow or shine.

My preference would be to have a bit more permanent set-up up at a reasonable height due to back and knee issues. Using a cart to move to that giant opening is my backup plan.

+1

Crack the garage door (in bad weather) and a window for cross vent. 

Don't over think it.   I have mine in a screen in porch, never an issue (after the 1st hour:)

As far as not over thinking it goes, that's one of my favorite things to do. If I stop over thinking things, what'll I do with all that spare time? ::)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:16:36 PM by pax238 »
Barry from CT

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
I overthink stuff all the time. I sooths me. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
With a detached garage, I would think you could smoke with it almost anywhere, as long as you open the big garage door. Opening a window or two would be a plus. Should be no problem. I think the vent hood examples were from attached garage situations.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide