Author Topic: Heating element almost touching- Is this a problem?  (Read 4493 times)

Edward

Heating element almost touching- Is this a problem?
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »
Heating element almost touching the chip box support. Ran one smoke so far with no issues. Is this a problem or can it be down the road if they they make contact? Thanks
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Heating element almost touching- Is this a problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:12:31 AM »
I'd try a little pressure on the support and see if you can center it a little better.  As for a problem, it will certainly make one side of your wood box hotter than the other.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
I'd try a little pressure on the support and see if you can center it a little better.  As for a problem, it will certainly make one side of your wood box hotter than the other.

+1 on what Dave said. You should be able to move that support enough to "adjust" it to center the heating element.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Edward

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
I tried to but when i push the support till it hits the element then it just springs back to where it was. Only way I can see it happening is removing the heating element then "adjust" it.
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
I tried to but when i push the support till it hits the element then it just springs back to where it was. Only way I can see it happening is removing the heating element then "adjust" it.

Sounds like the answer to the problem  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
I think we have threads on this in the past. Mine is the same way and I have not had a problem.

I wouldn't sweat it, but just know which direction your element goes so that you can place your wood over the burner.

I think this is why many people think that the back of their box burns hotter. When in reality, they may be placing their wood in the box to one side of the element, thus giving this illusion that the element is hotter in the back verses the front.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Edward

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »
If that's the case I may just fly with it as is then. I was just wiping it out from my first smoke yesterday & tried tweaking it to gain some more clearance but it keeps hitting the heating element & springing back. All the wood I put in yesterday was all ashes so I don't know. Maybe I will address it when I pull the back off to do the bypass when I get the Auber set up. Appreciate the input thanks!