Author Topic: Smoked Soy Marinated Turkey Breast  (Read 5906 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked Soy Marinated Turkey Breast
« on: November 24, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
My wife and I have rented a cabin in the mountains for the holiday and since I don't plan to bring along my smoker I have decided to smoke a turkey a few days early. Once the turkey is done, I will vacuum seal it and keep it almost frozen until out dinner on Thursday.

Ingredients:
1 8 lb. turkey breast (smoke 250 degrees)

Marinade:
¼ cup Olive Oil
¼ cup BBQ rub
1 cup Moore’s Marinade
1 cup water

Wood:
1.5 oz. cherry
.5 oz. pecan

In a large zip lock bag add marinade and then the rinsed turkey. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator, for 1.5 hours, flipping every 20 minutes or so.

Remove turkey from the refrigerator, drain and then coat with mustard and BBQ rub. Place back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until you are ready to smoke.

Remove when turkey reaches 165 degrees, cover and allow turkey to rest for 20 minutes or so.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoked Soy Marinated Turkey Breast
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »
Total smoke time ended up being 3.5 hours, pulled at 165 degrees.

Let sit for 20 minutes and then cut in half and then vacuum sealed.

This will be dinner on Thursday and on the weekend.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:01:47 PM »
Should be a great "cabin in the mountains" meal, Greg!  ...or anywhere else, for that matter! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
Looking great, Greg!  Enjoy your trip and Happy Thanksgiving!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
Looking great, Greg!  Enjoy your trip and Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve,

I am interested to enjoy the end results for this smoke. Since the plan was to smoke and then semi freeze for a few days, I went lighter on the wood.

This is the first breast only turkey I have done and it did not seem as juicy as the whole turkeys I have done in the past.

Tomorrow night will be the test and I will post the results.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving Steve!

Greg

TheLocNar

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »
Didn't you sneak a taste? COME ON! lol

Looks great! Let us know how it goes!

Happy Thanksgiving!
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

es1025

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
Gregg
Looks good. I brine my turkey breasts 1 hour per pound. Always moist and juicy.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
The turkey turned out pretty good, but it needed more smoke and it was not as juicy as a full bird.

Next time, I will just smoke a whole bird!

Greg
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:52:17 AM by gregbooras »

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
Greg, looks great. Do you think a longer dip in the brine would have helped? It's a pretty big piece of meat.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
Greg, looks great. Do you think a longer dip in the brine would have helped? It's a pretty big piece of meat.

Hey Bob,

I decided not to brine the turkey breast since it was already injected from the store (18% solution). It was a good dinner, but they whole turkey was cheaper than just buying the breast. So next time I will just smoke the whole bird.

I actually have two 12 lbs birds in the freezer that I picked up for .59 cents a pound.

Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 07:14:27 PM »
Hey Bob,

I decided not to brine the turkey breast since it was already injected from the store (18% solution). It was a good dinner, but they whole turkey was cheaper than just buying the breast. So next time I will just smoke the whole bird.

I actually have two 12 lbs birds in the freezer that I picked up for .59 cents a pound.

Greg

I brine ALL pre-injected birds. They've NEVER been too salty! I don't think that pre-injection really does much, other than add water so the bird weighs more  ;)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
Hey Bob,

Greg

I brine ALL pre-injected birds. They've NEVER been too salty! I don't think that pre-injection really does much, other than add water so the bird weighs more  ;)

I am willing to be wrong here, but when they inject these babies the salt level is already more than I would use and cook with.

Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »
Hey Bob,

Greg

I am willing to be wrong here, but when they inject these babies the salt level is already more than I would use and cook with.

Greg

I'm actually not a big salt fiend. I don't like snack foods, etc, and I commonly complain about things being too salty. But my pre-brined birds, that I brine, always seem to come out just right for salt level. The pre-brined birds always seem a little bland to me if I don't brine them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:08:34 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »
Divot might know the answer to this but my suspicion about turkey parts has always been that they might have been birds that didn't pass grade as a whole bird.  But taking it to 165 and having it continue to cook could also had an effect.  I'm sure that it still made good sandwiches. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
Divot might know the answer to this but my suspicion about turkey parts has always been that they might have been birds that didn't pass grade as a whole bird.  But taking it to 165 and having it continue to cook could also had an effect.  I'm sure that it still made good sandwiches.

You're right about where they get the bone-in breasts, and you don't want to see the birds they came from. :o   I think you're right on the time, too.  I would have probably taken a lone breast to 160, to allow for cooking when it was reheated, but not sure.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!