Author Topic: Pork Butt Smokin Time Question  (Read 5231 times)

Mr. D

Pork Butt Smokin Time Question
« on: November 23, 2015, 03:57:56 PM »
I just ordered (23 Nov) a Auber PID, wall mounted probe, DPDT switch to MOD my #3, everything should be here by next Monday (30 Nov) I hope. I will do the MOD early next week and Autotune with the hopes I'm ready to smoke by Thursday. Under the gun since I have committed to smoking 3 Butts for a birthday party on Sat PM (Dec 5th).

Reading other post I'm seeing where it took some of our group 20 to 30 hours to smoke a couple of 10 lb Butts. Seems excessive to me. So if I'm doing 3 8-10 lb bone in Butts what Lbs per Hr math should I be using? Total weight or one Butt weight?

These need to be resting in a cooler ready to travel by 4PM Sat Dec 5th.

Glock_21

Re: Pork Butt Smokin Time Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
The smoke times in my #3 (stock controller) seem to be around 2 hr/lb on pork butts.  If it were me I would start the smoke around 6 or 7 pm the evening before.  I have no idea if the Auber would decrease the cook time.  It's much easier to work around something being done early vs something not getting done on time.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

Mr. D

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »
Glock that was my thoughts as well, getting these in the smoker early Friday night.

The only thing I have smoked on this #3 so far is ribs and it would have been nice to do a Butt on my own terms but didn't work out that way.
Shouldn't really matter if it is one butt or three butts from a time standpoint.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »
My butts have usually needed about 1.5 hours per pound (smoking at 235F).  Keep in mind that you only need to calculate time for one of the butts since they are all about the same size.   To be sure that everything comes off perfectly, you could use 2 hours per pound as the outside maximum time that you will need, and perhaps they will rest double foiled wrapped in the cooler a bit longer, but at least you know you will meet your deadline.

Each but may come to temp at different points in time, so have another therm that you can use to double check that each butt is at least to 195IT for pulled pork.

Hope this helps!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
With that much meat, you could probably push your temp to 240 or even up to 250 and it will reduce your time some.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:41:38 PM »
I'd allow 16-20 hours total, but they may be done sooner.  You only need to take butts to 190-195 max.  Like Gregg said, bump the temp to 240 (helps with a big meat load).  They'll cook like a single, unless you cram them together.  Make sure you have separation between the butts.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Mr. D

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
Thanks, I think I'm going to allow myself 20 hours at 230/235, I can bump it up at the mid way point if I think it's going to slow. I can hold them in a cooler for up to 4-5 hrs if needed. I will target 10 Lb Butts and my guess is they will be done in 15 Hrs. Assuming I need them ready to ride by 4PM Sat I will drop them in the box around 8PM Friday night.

So the $100 question is what IT should I be seeing at the 10 hr point?

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »
So the $100 question is what IT should I be seeing at the 10 hr point?

Ha!  If I knew that, I'd be $100 richer! ;)   There is no way of knowing!  The meat will tell you when it's done.  Your 10 lb butts could stall for several hours, and maybe even have a "secondary" stall!  No way of knowing, so your plan to give 2 hrs/lb is solid.  Just set the temp at 235 and don't mess with it.  You really can't speed the stall, and they take as long as they take....unfortunately, no shortcuts. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Mr. D

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
Added a wall mount probe and Auber a couple of days ago and did the autotune last night.
Results
P - 87
I - 600
D - 273

I going to do a dry run tonight and drop in my digital temp probe and see how close both are. Three (3) butts are going in Friday night.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
Added a wall mount probe and Auber a couple of days ago and did the autotune last night.
Results
P - 87
I - 600
D - 273

I going to do a dry run tonight and drop in my digital temp probe and see how close both are. Three (3) butts are going in Friday night.
Mount your secondary probe as close to the permanent probe as possible.  Temperature can vary significantly in the box. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Mr. D

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »
Test run with the Auber was a complete success. Set C-2 at 235 deg

Auber 235 deg.         Redi Chek 235 deg

Happy Happy Happy

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 08:31:44 PM »
Love it, Mr. D!  Now get those butts smoking! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas