Author Topic: Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker  (Read 48835 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 10:26:37 PM »
Yep.  I'm going to try to get Steve to include one, just for that reason.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
On the new models , if power goes off for a min. Or so after setting up your smoke does it kill your setup or does it just reset and continue to smoke, why I'm  asking is that where I live my power will blink off and on about 3 times a week and I would hate to set up a smoke for 5 hrs and leave for 3 hours to come back and the smoker has been off the whole time ,lol
Thanks
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
coyote, it would come back on but restart the program from step 1 and/or the timer from "0".  If you were in program 2 or 3 of your cook, it would reboot and start from program 1. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
On the new models , if power goes off for a min. Or so after setting up your smoke does it kill your setup or does it just reset and continue to smoke, why I'm  asking is that where I live my power will blink off and on about 3 times a week and I would hate to set up a smoke for 5 hrs and leave for 3 hours to come back and the smoker has been off the whole time ,lol
Thanks

As long as the switch is "on," it will restart at the beginning of the set program.  This is the case if you are also in one of the pre-set "recipe" settings.  I tested this during the weekend smoke.  I selected setting P1 (235 until IT 195, 140 hold for 4 hours).  I switched the unit off and on, and it returned to that program.  If you are on step 2 or 3, when the power resets, it should cycle through to where you were pretty quick, unless your first step was a time setting, in which case you'll have to manually change the program.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2015, 11:41:25 PM »
So that would mess up a smoke, untill I came back and reset the PID right or am I missing something ?
Thanks
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

DivotMaker

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »
So that would mess up a smoke, untill I came back and reset the PID right or am I missing something ?
Thanks

Possibly, depending on your program.  We're getting into something that is characteristic of any digital controller.  Those of us used to the Auber PID know this, and this is nothing new.  If you experience frequent power outages, stick with the analog controller if you want to be certain you will never "mess up a smoke." 

This brings up another point, though...unattended smokes.  While it's true we don't have to sit by our pits and constantly monitor them, common sense dictates that we be "within range" while using any electric cooking device.  Not many folks put a roast in the oven and leave the house all day, so why would we when using a smoker?  If the power goes off, go out and check your program.  Nothing, repeat nothing, is ever going to be 100% foolproof or reliable in weird situations.  I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »
Thanks, and I don"t leave every smoke but when I have a 5- 10 hr one I may be gone 2-3 hr some times ? So I think I'll stay with my old #2, seems it will do.
 Thanks
Oh sorry to start this , just wanted to know if I might need a PID.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:35:45 PM by coyote »
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

DivotMaker

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2015, 11:02:18 PM »
Thanks, and I don"t leave every smoke but when I have a 5- 10 hr one I may be gone 2-3 hr some times ? So I think I'll stay with my old #2, seems it will do.
 Thanks

No problem!  I'm a big fan of the PID (may not have noticed ;) ), but like anything, there are limitations.  Certainly nothing wrong with the original controller, at all.  I just believe the rare circumstances of "all the ways" a PID might mess-up doesn't outweigh the benefit of programmable, accurate control.  You can find a point of failure in virtually everything.  But, I've been using the PID for over 2 years, and have never experienced a problem, so I'm pretty confident in the operation and reliability.  Wasn't trying to be snarky with you, just trying to point out that some folks demand too much of their equipment, or sometimes have too much faith in it to operate unattended.
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2015, 12:26:43 AM »
 Thanks

I use my HeaterMeter PID while I go to work all day. I monitor it periodically with my cell phone or any internet browser. You can read about it on this thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2765
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

wmakerrick

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »
Just got my new 3D seasoned and decided to try 12 pounds of Owens honey bbq sticks. Found the controller was a breeze to learn after 5 minutes. set up 120 for 2hr, 140 for 2hr,160 for 2.5 hr and then 185 till meat hits 155 degrees. Made a homemade jerky dryer type fan for the top. will post pictures later with results. Any and all recommendations accepted from those with more experience. Thanks
Rick from Grove City Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2015, 06:00:58 PM »
Congrats Rick!!  Let me know if you have any problems.  We should have a manual finalized very soon.
Tony from NW Arkansas

LongBall

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
Sounds like you could use an APC battery backup for more than just this.

Thanks
SI3 Auber WSD-1500 Probe installed

Bart

Durangosmoker

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »
I was about to suggest a battery backup if this is a concern.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:41:21 PM by Durangosmoker »
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »

PERFECT solution, for folks with power issues!!  Can't believe I didn't think of that!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »

PERFECT solution, for folks with power issues!!  Can't believe I didn't think of that!
Maybe because power drain would require a huge battery pack for anything more than a sporadic couple minutes off scenario. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah