Author Topic: Will my turkey burn/dry out if.....  (Read 3935 times)

chanesworth

Will my turkey burn/dry out if.....
« on: November 24, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
I am planning on smoking a turkey in my #2 this Thanksgiving.  I do have an Auber and am going to set it to end when the IT of the bird reaches 165.  But, I might not be home for a couple of hours after the turkey finishes to pull it out of the smoker.  So as the question suggests, if I leave the turkey in my smoker for a couple of hours after the program has concluded will the temperature inside the smoker still cause the IT to rise and potentially burn/dry out my bird?

Thanks

Craig-NY

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Will my turkey burn/dry out if.....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
Turn it off at 160 degrees.

SB fine, like if you had it in a cooler.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

chanesworth

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 01:10:43 PM »
Thanks jcboxlot

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
I disagree with John.  If the smoker goes to a 140 hold temp, from 150, that's a 110° drop in a well-insulated, well-sealed box.  Only allowing 5° rise is not enough.  It will take at least an hour for the box to cool down to 140.  A turkey is a risky smoke to hold, without opening the box.  Not as much leeway as, say, a pork butt.  It's more "temperature-sensitive."

I wouldn't recommend trying this with your Thanksgiving turkey, unless you've tried it before.  It only takes about 4-4.5 hours to do a 14 lb bird, and I would certainly want to be there when it hits temp.  But...if you really have to do it remotely, give it 10° to be safe. 

The problem with this idea is you won't know what actual high temp the bird got to.  For example, if you set it to drop at 155, the bird will easily continue to cook, and still may go above 165.  As the smoker cools, and the cooking stops, internal temp of the bird will eventually drop, too.  So, when you get home, it may show 160 as the internal temp, and you won't know if that's the high temp or the cooled temp.  Make sense?  Personally, I wouldn't risk a meal this important with an untried technique.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
You can't turn it off when it hits 160 internal?  Knowing it got that high internal to start with.  I guess that was my suggestion, instead of waiting for 165 internal and it then cooking higher while you wait to get home.

Maybe we are getting smoker box and turkey temp mixed up????

4 hours for a 14 lb bird?   I did a 7 lb in bone breast last week and it took 8 hours to hit 160 (then foil for hour)!   Turned out perfect.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:56:47 PM »
You can't turn it off when it hits 160 internal?  Knowing it got that high internal to start with.  I guess that was my suggestion, instead of waiting for 165 internal and it then cooking higher while you wait to get home.

Maybe we are getting smoker box and turkey temp mixed up? ???

4 hours for a 14 lb bird?   I did a 7 lb in bone breast last week and it took 8 hours to hit 160 (then foil for hour)!   Turned out perfect.

John, you misunderstand my post.  Try this sometime... Get your smoker up to 250, stable, then unplug it.  Don't open the door, and monitor your box temp for the next 1-2 hours.  You will find that it stays well above 165 for the next hour.  That was my point...if you take a bird to 160 or 165, then cut the power to the smoker without cooling the smoker, it will be hot enough to keep cooking the bird.  These smokers just don't drop very fast; that was my point!  I have cooked a ton of chickens in my Big Easy that I pulled out at 160, foiled, and let continuation cooking take to 165, so your 5° theory is definitely sound - if the smoker immediately cooled to 140.  But, it doesn't, and with a temperature-critical meat like turkey, I wouldn't want to experiment on Thanksgiving day.

And yes, 4 - 4.5  hours for a 14 lb bird at 250...I've done at least 6 that size, and it's pretty consistent.  Not sure why your breast took 8 hours!  Box temp way low?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

chanesworth

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:27:14 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I don't think I am going to risk it.  I will just plan on being home when the the internal temp hits 165 so I can take the bird out.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »
Good move, chanesworth...don't want to mess up the Thanksgiving turkey!

John:  I did a 7# turkey breast last weekend and it took 4 hours at 240F to reach 165IT.   Eight hours sounds way out of range to me.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »
I'd prefer not to wake up at 2 am, but will to start.  I'll try 235 or 240 and check box temps  (which I have only done once)

Turkey always turns out fine, but just takes forever for me.   I think I set 230 in the past.

7 .5 in bone breast this time brine in the fridge as I type

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 06:24:12 PM »
Try 250, John.  I've played with lower, and higher temps on poultry, and find the best results with 250.  It seems about as high as you can go without the skin shrinking and splitting too much.  Poultry doesn't benefit from true "low and slow," so the higher temp is great.
Tony from NW Arkansas