Author Topic: Stabilized temp  (Read 4441 times)

74redone

Stabilized temp
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »
I have a #2 and my temp is all over the place. Is there anything they sell to help kept the twmp at a constant temp? A digital control for the heating element would be a big help. Any input would be great.
Thanks!
S2 and stand

Grampy

Re: Stabilized temp
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
I have a #2 and my temp is all over the place. Is there anything they sell to help kept the twmp at a constant temp? A digital control for the heating element would be a big help. Any input would be great.
Thanks!

74redone, Check out the Auber section on this forum. I think that will be the answers you are looking for.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

74redone

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
Thanks Grampy!
S2 and stand

Mike

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »
Temp swings of up to + or - 30* is normal and uaually  the final temp equals out. Even knowing this I hated watching it go up and down.

The Auber was the solution for me, once I set it for time and temp it seldom goes over or under by a degree.  All I had to do for the Auber was an auto-tune and I put in my #2 a permanent probe...no more worries

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
Temp swings are normal, and seem to become more narrow as your SI gets some seasoning on it. But it will always swing with the stock controller. I don't have an Auber, and get GREAT results with everything I've smoked! It truly does average out, and most things don't really require that level of precision (some folks might disagree). You might want to do several smokes and see how things come out. I've smoked practically everything, including cold smoking, and have no plans, or reason at this point to add an Auber.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
Stop watching the temp, problem solved.

Seriously, the unit works, trust it to do its job.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
Stop watching the temp, problem solved.

Seriously, the unit works, trust it to do its job.

+1, 74.  I totally agree to not watch box temps - they average out to your set temp...nature of the beast, with all electrics.  But, the Auber PID does really tighten things up.  There are those of us who love them, and those that don't, but we all play well together and agree to disagree! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:32:19 AM »
+2.  Now after over two years of using the SI #2, I have stopped even putting a temp probe in the smoker.  I only use the probe for IT for the meat and let the SI do its thing!   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
+2.  Now after over two years of using the SI #2, I have stopped even putting a temp probe in the smoker.  I only use the probe for IT for the meat and let the SI do its thing!   ;D

+3. I have not used the ambient air temp probe for several smokes now. Don't need to. I'm confident. I've monitored the IT enough times now that I don't see why to bother. Temps average themselves out with the stock controller. Let the SI do it's thing, and put your probe in the meat. Remove meat when done. Hard to believe its that easy, but it is. Like I said, get some smokes under your belt, then decide if you need the precision of the Auber. I don't, but maybe you will find a reason to.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

mizzoufan

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 08:16:28 AM »
No Auber here either.  I've gotten to where I almost forget I have anything in the smoker till my Maverick beeps.  One of these days the batteries in that are going to die mid smoke and the meat will be in there way too long...though I suppose I could proactively change them out.
Steven from KCMO

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
As others have stated forget about the box temp unless you are having smokes that are taking way to much time.

Cook to temp of the meat and enjoy.

Greg