Author Topic: Do you regret your auber purchase?  (Read 3994 times)

chanesworth

Do you regret your auber purchase?
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »
I just purchased an Auber to use with my model 2.  I haven't installed it yet but from reading many posts it seems like many people have had problems with the Auber.  So as the subject matter states, do you regret purchasing your auber unit?

Craig - New York

Mike

Re: Do you regret your auber purchase?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:57:45 AM »
Not one bit. I like being able to set a temp and time and for the most part and walk away. As with most of our smokers the only extra steps I had to take was tune the Auber and install a permanent probe

I know it's not necessary to have an Auber but I hated the temp swings + or- of up to 30* and even though it evened out, I like the consistency of a constant temp.
Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
Hey Craig, first welcome from Kansas City. I have 2 aubers, a newer model for my #1 smoker. And one that I purchased that came with the #3 that I purchased from a previous owner. I too have done the bypass and installed the permanent probe in both smokers. And +1 on Mikes post about the temp. swings. When I set the smoker for 235 I expect to see just 235 and not 215 and 255 or what ever the swing is. I can live with maybe 236 but that is about it. With the auber I see just a temp. that I have programed in the unit. Since I have been smoking pork belly at 80 or 90 degrees I do not want any swings. You will not be disappointed.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
Hey Craig, welcome!  Glad to have you with us!

I'm confused....you purchased the Auber, but haven't used it yet, and are worried about it not working right?  If you search the thousands of posts here, on the Auber, you will find the percentage of "problem" posts is in a very, very low percentage.  And, you'll find that many of the "problems" boiled down to settings or user error.  Not all, but a bunch. 

It is a wonderful addition to the SI smoker.  Crazy, I know, but I have three of them (2 WPS-1503CPH's and one WPS-1200GPH).  Love 'em!  3 SIs, and 3 Aubers.  Couldn't be happier......unless I had four!! ;)

Hook it up, autotune it, and get to smoking something!  Like a great NY-based sitcom, Seinfeld, once said...."Much Ado about Nothing!"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:27:18 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

chanesworth

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
Thank you for the advise. I did purchase the Auber but it hasn't arrived yet. I started reading some posts and started to wonder if I made the wrong choice. I have read more and now am convinced that this will be a great benefit.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
Craig one final note I do not smoke without the Auber in place. As Tony said you can make mistakes with the programs so I normally will take notes on each smoke. Also you can ask one of the elders like Tony, Super Dave or Brian and they will tell you if you are on the right track.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
I don't regret it but being that it is "electronics", I worry about it more than I should.  The blessing is that it automates the entire smoke.  The curse is that it automates the entire smoke.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah