Author Topic: Permanent Probe Problems  (Read 9142 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Permanent Probe Problems
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
My permanent probe took a dump last night as I was attempting to start a late night smoke.  The Auber readout ran forward and backward, from +400 degrees to -120 degrees, which set off alarms.  It just kept doing it without stopping.  I plugged the mobile box plug in and it worked fine.  Does anyone know if these are serviceable? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Permanent Probe Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Dave!  I think yours is the first I've heard of failing.  I'm not sure it they are serviceable; probably need to contact Auber on that.  Could you have pinched/kinked the wire?  Since the only part in the smoker is the probe, I wouldn't think you could have gotten moisture in it.  Other than moisture, I think the wire or plug would be the only other points of failure.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bebe

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
i doubt it, since is sealed...
Maybe is the wire or the plug, i guess you could cut and resolder it. Push come to shove, order one from Steve, cheaper than Auber.
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »
I'm glad that I had a back up! 

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 11:19:48 PM »
Hey Dave, try cleaning the probe on the inside of the smoker. And you might try cleaning the input that goes into the auber with some Isopropyl Alcohol. Dry it really good and see if it works. Also you can get one at Auber for 16.88. Here is the site info.
http://www.mementotech.com/newauber/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_29&products_id=99
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
Thanks Bill, that's the plug for the old unit.  The new plug is twice that price on that site.  Steve has it for a couple dollars less.  I think I'll try a little steel wool or sandpaper on the probe and see if it makes any difference.  Other than some smoke patina, it looks very clean. 

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 10:58:02 AM »
Your very welcome Dave, was not sure which model Auber that you have. I was lucky when I purchased the Auber for the #1 I just added the permanent wall mount and was $2.00 more in cost. I purchased that Auber from their site as was on sale at the time. I have been washing mine after every smoke and they look pretty clean. Thank goodness that you had a spare.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:07:42 PM »
Thank goodness that you had a spare.
While it might not be common, $20 - $30 extra probe is cheap insurance.  Hopefully, a lesson for others.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
This is one of the main reasons that I have not taken the plunge with an Auber.

Having to swap out a plug in the middle of the night to complete a smoke doesn't fit into my Lazy Q lifestyle.

I know this is a very rare issue, but "for me" I just do not see that the pros outweigh the cons.

If I ever do take the plunge, I will definitely be including the switch so that I can quickly go back to the stock controller.

I'm glad to hear that you had a spare and were able to complete your smoke Dave.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »
For what it is worth, the non permanent probe performed flawlessly.  It locked in and held as well as my permanent probe has performed. 

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »
I too have extra meat probes but as others have said would not think about getting an extra box probe.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
Update on this situation.  The permanent probe was working fine again after this original episode but resurfaced again today.  When I turned on the unit, the box temp side of the Auber display kept scrolling from 0 - 700 degrees and then would start all over again.  Anyone seen that before?

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 10:17:14 PM »
Wow, you have all the luck, Dave!  I have 3 wall probes - plus the factory one in the 3D, and have never had any problems with them.  Did you check your plug, and make sure it's clean and moisture-free?  I know Auber has suggested that moisture in the plug can cause things like that.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »
Now I am starting to think that the problem is on the Auber unit side.  If I unplug and plug the probe in repeatedly with increasing force, I can get it to register.  Do I send this to Auberin?

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »
Have you tried plugging the probe into the probe 2 slot, and your drop in meat probe into slot 1?  Not for cooking, but to see if the meat probe does the same thing?
Tony from NW Arkansas