Author Topic: coupl'a briskeys  (Read 5820 times)

jdwoods

Re: coupl'a briskeys
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
 :( :( :( :( :( :(

Okay. If it is being served tomorrow, I still have time to do some salvage work. Is there anything I can do?
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
Tell us about the taste test.  What did you find? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jdwoods

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 06:48:03 PM »
I would characterize what happened as a disaster.

The brisket was still tasty. The smokiness was not as pronounced and, strangely, it was slightly bitter.

Somehow, the cook was affected. I don't know what happened, but these briskets cooked fast. The one brisket that stayed in longer was a bit dry.
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »
OK, JD...  Back to the "basics."  Don't try to overreach your, or your smokers', capabilities just yet.  Sounds like you really tried to push the limits of the #2, and it didn't work out.  It happens...let's move on now and learn from it!  That's what this is all about! :)

Next time, keep it a little simpler with only one brisket.  I just can't believe those were really "done" in less than 1 lb per hour, but OK.  Had to be a packed house in that #2! 

All I'm saying is to not try to over-do it, and work within the capabilities of your equipment.  2 big packers in a #3 is no problem, but not the #2.  Just the fact that you could fit ONE in there whole is a feat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!