Author Topic: Pressure cookers  (Read 3877 times)

drains

Pressure cookers
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
just wondering if any one is using a pressure cooker. I cooked a 5lbs shoulder roast yesterday in 30 minutes and it was so tender it just fell apart. Shoulder roast is a tough cut of meat too. I added some lawreys beef stew seasoning and let simmer for a few minutes while I made mashed potatoes and warmed up some turnip and collard greens. Before the pressure cooker this meal would have taken hours not minutes. This one is electric by the way and has many safety features so it's not like grandmas old rattler that scared the bejezzers outta me.  My wife got this one on qvc and it's the emerald lagasse model, 6 qts.  We make rice and chicken casserole, pinto beans are a snap and only take minutes to cook. Lots of good recipes and all take only minutes. You can marinate meat in it but I haven't tried it yet. I high recommend having a pressure cooker in the kitchen.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Pressure cookers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:46:17 PM »
Hey Dale they are also good for corned beef, cabbage and new potatoes.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
Wow, I was watching an infomercial on that cooker last weekend!  Looks really good.  Of course, it can't replace what I can do in an SI, but it sure looks like I could find a ton of other meals to make in it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
My wife and I both agree that it's some of the best money we've spent in a while. I'm going to be smoking some butts and ribs this weekend so I think I'll remove one of the butts when it reaches the stall, usually about 170 ish and finish it in the pressure cooker and see how it goes. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Also I'll have alot of good drippings to add back into the meat or for adding to the BBQ sauce. Bark will suffer though. I'll report back when I'm done.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
Also Dale they make a really good pot roast in very little time. The BB should be fine looking forward to your post on them.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »
Should be an interesting report, Dale!  Remember pictures! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »
Hey Bill, yea I cooked a 5 lbs. Shoulder roast in it yesterday and it was fall apart tender. We've had this for a while now and have enjoyed many meals from it. I used to slow simmer pintos all day it seemed like and now 30 minutes and I'm eating one if my favorite foods. Also I used to soak them for hours before cooking. No more! Pork butts are next after smoking in the #3.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:28:25 PM »
Hey Dale, sounds like you have a handle on things. I may have to look into that as the one I have is broken. And was not that large.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »
I cut deer ribs into approximately 4x6 inch sections. My Mother-In-Law cooked them in the pressure cooker for about thirty minutes to get the fat to melt off, I finished them on the grill with sauce, great results.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:29:34 PM »
QVC todays special value if anyone is still shopping for one.  Demo's all day long.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

TheLocNar

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »
I use mine for chop suey pretty much exclusively. Works great!
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish