Author Topic: Vacuum seal - hot, cold?  (Read 6831 times)

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
Vacuum seal - hot, cold?
« on: October 28, 2015, 11:00:43 AM »
Quick question - when vacuum sealing cooked meat how cool/cold should it be before trying to pull a vacuum?  Some of the info I've read is ambiguous and I trust the members here.
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Vacuum seal - hot, cold?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
My preference is to refrigerate first if possible.  It eliminates sucking juices out of the meat and compromising the integrity of the seal.  Otherwise, one is stuffing paper towels in the bag and fussing with stuff to do it hot. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
I always seal mine hot and haven't had a problem with the seals.

Cooling is probably a good idea though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 04:05:11 PM »
Normally I would place covered in the refrigerator and allow to cool overnight. Things like soup and that have a lot of liquid, I place in the freezer in Quart bags and then vacuum seal the next day.

Greg

Limey

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:31:37 PM »
+1 on both of Greg's points although I have sealed hot with no problems. If you don't want to freeze liquids first you can hang the bag over the edge of the table that the vacuum sealer is on and use the pulse function to seal, stopping just before the liquid gets to the seal strip. You will not be able to pull such a heavy vacuum this way but it works ok.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »
I go hot and cold!  When I seal ribs, I let them rest until dinner is done, then seal them while still pretty warm.  Not too much juice flowing, by then.  I will admit you really have to watch anything with a lot of moisture; I just hit the manual seal button when it starts to flow toward the sealer!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TheLocNar

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »
I always chill anything that needs to be sealed. The chance of condensation remaining in the bag when warm for too long isn't worth the risk of getting you or anyone else sick.
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
I always chill anything that needs to be sealed. The chance of condensation remaining in the bag when warm for too long isn't worth the risk of getting you or anyone else sick.

It's vacuum sealed.  No condensation in the bag because there is no air.  I have sealed a ton of ribs hot, and never an issue.  The package is hard as a rock, because there is no air left.  Plus, you seal them and get them straight into the freezer.  I'm a stickler for food safety, and temps, and I don't think there is any problem with this.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »

It's vacuum sealed.  No condensation in the bag because there is no air.  I have sealed a ton of ribs hot, and never an issue.  The package is hard as a rock, because there is no air left.  Plus, you seal them and get them straight into the freezer.  I'm a stickler for food safety, and temps, and I don't think there is any problem with this.

Agreed. Condensation is just water liquid. Air is what could be the potential problem.

But as Tony said, we always freeze or at a minimum refrigerate after sealing.

I actually prefer to seal warm. That way I know that all of the juices are going to be in there and not evaporate while waiting for the meat to cool down.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:15:57 PM »
Gene, as you have probably figured out by now we all have our own opinions, and as a practical matter it probably does not matter whether you vacuum pack warm or cold. It is however very important (imo) to vacuum pack if you want to maintain food quality.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
Gene, as you have probably figured out by now we all have our own opinions, and as a practical matter it probably does not matter whether you vacuum pack warm or cold. It is however very important (imo) to vacuum pack if you want to maintain food quality.
What he said. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

TheLocNar

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »

My bad. Was thinking more along the lines of hot liquids like soups/sauces etc where you don't suck out all the air. Those you need to cool down first.
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »
You are definitely correct, Jeff!  The only way to seal liquids hot is to use a chamber sealer.  I really want one, but my budget says I don't. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »
FWIW, sealing warm, and especially hot, liquids in a chamber sealer is extremely tricky and usually not a good idea.
The higher the temperature, the more likely the vacuum created in a chamber sealer will boil the contents leading to a host of messy problems.
I can boil room temperature water in my chamber sealer.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:47:34 PM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »
FWIW, sealing warm, and especially hot, liquids in a chamber sealer is extremely tricky and usually not a good idea.
The higher the temperature, the more likely the vacuum created in a chamber sealer will boil the contents leading to a host of messy problems.
I can boil room temperature water in my chamber sealer.   ;)

Didn't know that!  Thanks Martin!
Tony from NW Arkansas