Author Topic: One day shipping!  (Read 8987 times)

TheLocNar

One day shipping!
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
Now that's awesome. Guess it helps that I'm close by in IL too. This will be my first smoker I've personally owned. I've been a professional chef for 9 years and counting but never bothered to smoke anything outside of work. Took a month to research and decided in electric given the cold winters here. I came close to going cheap with the Home Depot Brinkmann red bullet (family member has it. Actually works ok) but know I'll be using this thing very often. So I decided to go for broke with the #2. I'll check in again tomorrow while its seasoning. :)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: One day shipping!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »
Nice!  Now that you made the right decision, and that you have joined the team, go ahead and put a first name and town in your signature line.  Then, head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about your chef experience.  I look forward to hearing about it!

Welcome to the club!  Oh, and you most definitely made the right decision over the Brinkman!  If you think they "work OK," you ain't seen nothin' yet! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TheLocNar

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »
I know. I know. Need to work on my profile. Will do when I get on a computer instead of this phone. ;)

I actually had some smoked salmon on that red bullet that was pretty fantastic. But my big deal is longevity and customer support/parts availability. The red bulle is pretty much disposable if the heating element breaks down. And dang. That sheet metal is so thin. That's a no go here in Chicago during 2 of 4 seasons.

Between my Anova sous vide/Vacmaster 210 gadgets, it seemed like a smoker was the next thing to splurge on. I'll get back to you on career stories. lol
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:29:39 PM »
Hey Jeff,

Welcome from Saint Augustine and also a happy #2 owner!

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »
Yes, Jeff, the #2 is definitely a better choice for your winter weather!!  I've smoked down to 9°, but many of my northern brothers and sisters have gone much, much lower, with no problems!  These are well-insulated, and maintain temp very well!  Here's one of our members enjoying a nice balmy day in northern Minnesota!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:36:32 PM »
Between my Anova sous vide/Vacmaster 210 gadgets, it seemed like a smoker was the next thing to splurge on. I'll get back to you on career stories. lol

I just purchased the Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator (Precision Cooker). The Bluetooth+WiFi version. They have $40 off right now, so it's a good time to buy. These things have gotten pretty affordable for the home cook, and simple to use. And a lot of folks here already have a vacuum sealer, although you can use ordinary ziplock bags with the Anova.

http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »
One Day :o :o   you lucky son of a gun 8) 8)    Enjoy your new Smokin -It :)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

TheLocNar

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
Seasoning it now.

One question. I put both locking casters on the front. That should be fine I'm assuming. Easier to reach the locking mechanisms for me if the lockable ones are up front.

This thing puts out some decent smoke. Impressed with just the seasoning. lol it did spike to over 300 degrees with my probe hanging in (Thermoworks Orb) but levels off to 255 or so. I don't see any issues. Things working well!
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
I put my locking casters on the front too. Seems like the temperature swings are larger for the first few smokes. Once it gets some good seasoning built up, they seem to narrow, but you will see some swings with the built-in controller. It's fine though.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TheLocNar

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 10:34:16 PM »
Going to do some salmon tomorrow. It's all brining in the fridge. I'll update. Will be using cherry.
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

TheLocNar

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
Trial run with a tiny, thin piece of salmon. Been sitting overnight in brown sugar, salt, pepper, cumin (cumin adds a whole new profile that I just love). Will see how this goes! If well, then I'll make the rest for dinner. I'm not worried. The cherry wood smells great on its own. :)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

smokeasaurus

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
Good call on the trial run....salmon aint cheap :o
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

TheLocNar

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
Small piece came out great. So now I'm getting the rest of it ready. :)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
Salmon looks great, Jeff!  And I too have the locking caster wheels on the front, which keeps the front stable with opening the door, etc.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »
Looking good, Jeff!  Just FYI...you saw the big temp swings, when seasoning, because the smoker was empty.  Nothing but hard stainless, and no heat sinks (meat, water pan) that will absorb heat and keep it more stable.  That's why I tell folks to totally disregard box temps during seasoning.  Freaks some people out! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas