Author Topic: Santa Maria BBQ Night! - Tri-Tip and Pinquito Beans  (Read 18722 times)

Grampy

Re: Santa Maria BBQ Night! - Tri-Tip and Pinquito Beans
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »
Great job Tony! That looks like one delicious meal.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 07:28:35 AM »
I bet these would also be great placing in the smoker for one hour!

Greg

Donmac

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
Wow that looks really good Tony.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »
I bet these would also be great placing in the smoker for one hour!

Greg

Might try that next time!  They already have a little smoky flavor, due to the amount of bacon.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

barelfly

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 04:52:54 PM »
Alright, this is on the menu for Sunday. Couldn't find pinquito so going with pintos. But should be great. Love being able to search and find recipes like this!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 07:09:03 PM »
Alright, this is on the menu for Sunday. Couldn't find pinquito so going with pintos. But should be great. Love being able to search and find recipes like this!

Pinquito are a variety of "pink" beans, but DM's recipe is so good, that I think you can use practically any bean and it will be great!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TexasSMK

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »
Good looking chow, have to save this one for the future!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

JustChillin

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 07:06:05 AM »
Wow! The tri-tip and beans both look great. Tri-tips are not very common in Atlanta but I have a couple of meat markets I can check at. Thanks for sharing.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

barelfly

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 08:30:51 PM »
Very good dinner tonight. Tri tip was super easy and very flavorful with the simple rub. The beans were great as well! Entire family liked both and will do again at some point. Only change I would make is to use a little less wood. I had just under 6 oz and meant to take a small piece out and forgot. But was still a success!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 02:19:08 AM »
Looks like everything turned out great!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 09:49:40 PM »
Pinquito are a variety of "pink" beans, but DM's recipe is so good, that I think you can use practically any bean and it will be great!

:-[ Thanks Kari!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »
Looks fantastic, Jeremy!  If you are inclined, order some Pinquinto beans from the Lompoc Bean Co.  They are very unique, and not even close to a Pinto bean - but that was a good substitute.  Pinquitos are firm, but have a meat that is like smooth butter, and a very good flavor.

Thanks for trying the recipe!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Muttley

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I used to live in Lompoc (LOM-POKE is the correct pronunciation if you were wondering).  My neighbor did Santa Maria BBQ catering on the side.  I never realized how lucky I was.  If his scraps weren't enough, there were times when the grocery stores would have tri-tip for $.99/Lbs (1994-1998ish).  You could go to the commissary and buy a case of them untrimmed for $50-$60. Last time I saw one it was north of $8/lbs and that was several years ago. 5.99/lbs at Albertsons in Santa Maria this week  ;) . Can't even find one in stores on the east coast; butcher this weekend tried to convince me a well trimmed bottom round would be the same.  Nuh-uh.  Anyways, I digress, and need to return to the beans.  Aw man, the beans.  I would get his leftovers, and get them by the gallon.  They were so good I would eat them cold for breakfast.  He would never reveal his recipe, but I knew enough to know there was a hint of cinnamon, and more obviously, he used Chorizo sausage instead of ham or bacon. 

I made the recipe Divot Maker posted this weekend, sans the pinquito beans and sub'd in canned pintos instead.  Of course, chorizo as my pork product of choice.  I made one batch with a can of green chiles, another with fresh chopped Anaheim. Not sure I could tell the difference. At some point maybe I'll add a dash of cinnamon and see what happens.   

This recipe though, these were the best damn beans I ever had.  I thought maybe I was biased.  I took some into to work today, and now have some requests for a couple of quarts to dole out. 

This post resurrected some great memories.  And if you're going to do something well, why not beans?

Sorry for bringing an old thread back, hope I didn't run afoul of any etiquette rules.  It's been a while since I have been online here, I started fly fishing a couple of years ago and that has consumed my limited online presence.

JustChillin

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 07:40:57 PM »
When you are discussing good food and successful cooks, I think it is very appropriate to stoke the fire with an old post. I might attempt to cook the beans . I can get chirizo but good tri-tips in the Atlanta market are impossible.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Walt

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:52 PM »
Sams has them frequently here.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill