Author Topic: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project  (Read 36587 times)

Greenenvey

Re: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »
ive got to keep an eye on this, I was just about to buy the thermoworks smoke, but this may be what I end up with if its everything we all hope it will be.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »
ive got to keep an eye on this, I was just about to buy the thermoworks smoke, but this may be what I end up with if its everything we all hope it will be.

It's a risk, but I proudly funded this with a Meater Block. Whether the internal probe components can stand the test of time (heat cool heat cool), I don't know, but I'll be darned if I'm not going to fund their effort to at least try! If the technology is impossible at this point, then I'm still proud to at least give it the financing that is required to explore it, for the sake of all bbq fanatics, as well as a very obvious benefit which is the rotissserie!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:46:11 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »
35 | Edward MEATERhands

Hello everyone! From the last update, a handful of new probes were sent to the UK and U.S. for further testing. The probes arrived safely and have been used in some real-life situations: cooking dinner!

Extensive testing with many meats!

Here's a video of MEATER making friends with a chicken.
https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/014/301/049/757498e5e7b7921373339a8f684faffe_h264_high.mp4

For over a month, Teemu has been spending his time away from home, at the factory to commandeer production and is still there working tirelessly performing tests and optimizing the assembly process.

Inspecting PCBs. MEATER's components are tiny!

Based on the positive results of the recent U.S./UK testing of the new MEATER probes, we are one step closer to the first large production batch of MEATER. Joseph will be traveling to the factory with the intention to sign off on production together with Teemu, which will be a major milestone for the campaign. We'll make sure to capture this magical process on camera and share them with you on the next update.

Regarding CE certification, MEATER is currently undergoing ESD (electrostatic discharge) testing and we expect to have this part of the test completed by the time Joseph arrives at the factory. Progress is being made!

Thanks all, we can't wait to share the status of production and the progress made in the coming weeks. If it's all looking good, we can start shipping MEATER to backers end of November with the goal of shipping the bulk of the MEATER units in December. As previously stated, we'll focus on the MEATER Block the moment MEATERs have begun mass production.

Have safe, scary, and sugary Halloweens!

Joseph, Teemu, and the Apption Labs team
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
I don't blame you one but I have no problem taking a risk, I'm a farmer we do it every day lol! it just looks amazing, and exciting!! id love to have it!!
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »

It's a risk, but I proudly funded this with a Meater Block. Whether the internal probe components can stand the test of time (heat cool heat cool), I don't know, but I'll be darned if I'm not going to fund their effort to at least try! If the technology is impossible at this point, then I'm still proud to at least give it the financing that is required to explore it, for the sake of all bbq fanatics, as well as a very obvious benefit which is the rotissserie!

I am with Kari 110% on this. I was an initial Meater Block funder and have zero regrets about doing it. I am getting pretty anxious to get my hands on one though. :)

Assuming that it works and works well and holds up, I am not aware of any other options that will have anything to compete with it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
Still waiting and still a doubter - and yes, I was an early backer. 
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2016, 12:20:14 PM »
They have been providing pretty regular updates and appears to be moving along.

Did you get a Meater Block? Or the single probe model?

The last I saw from them on 12/5/16, they were supposed to start shipping some single probe units to original backers in December.

Based on their schedule, I am guessing we'll be getting another update pretty soon and hopefully they will be telling us that they started shipping the single probe units and are working on the Meater Blocks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
39 | The Wolf of Wall MEAT

MEAT the Android App
We now have the MEATER app available for the Android platform! Get to know the app before we begin shipping. Check it out!

For the iOS app, check out this link.

Beta Test
Our 2nd round of beta testing has been underway! We've learned a lot more this round on how to improve the user experience and we're working hard to squash the bugs before you receive your units. Here are the latest pictures from some of our beta tester's cooks.

Testing, 1, 2, meat...

Production Update
With encouraging feedback from our beta testers, we are confident in moving forward with a batch of MEATER units to be completed by the end of next week. This set will undergo a new and stricter QC process that includes the UK and U.S. offices for further testing to ensure the highest quality standard.

We are continually finding ways to improve and fine tune MEATER probe production and will gradually increase batch quantities. We have not yet reached mass production but aim to start fulfilling your pledges at the end of this month (starting with the units mentioned above). When MEATER is being fulfilled to our backers, we will have a better idea of a delivery estimate for MEATER Block.

Thank you so much for your strong support that allows us to confidently progress in our production of MEATER. We're putting in the hard work and innumerable hours in completing our campaign and are grateful for you sticking by us.

All the best,
Joseph, Teemu, and everyone at Apption Labs
Gregg - Fargo, ND

va_rider

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »
App apparently isn't compatible with my device.... which is a Pixel XL. That's a bit disconcerting.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »
App apparently isn't compatible with my device.... which is a Pixel XL. That's a bit disconcerting.

This is the first release of the app. So, hopefully they'll continue updating the app and it won't be a problem when the Meater Blocks are shipped.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SconnieQ

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »
The iOS app was done first, so that one is probably working, but since there is no product to use it with, I have not bothered to download it yet. Maybe I will now just to check it out. This is the first round with the Android app, so I'm sure it's gonna need some tweaking.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »

41 | Beauty and the MEATs
By Apption Labs (Creator)

Howdy all! We have exciting news so read on through!

YESSSS!
It's happening!! We are wrapping up our beta testing program and have begun reaching out to our very first early backers who pledged for single probe MEATERs to confirm addresses! Although this batch is a small one, we’ll ramp up at every production run to ensure only quality products come out of the factory! We plan to ship this small batch no later than March 10th.
We sincerely apologize to MEATER Block-only backers, but we expect perfecting the Block to be a lot smoother than the probe since you don’t put the Block in the oven. We've begun transitioning resources to continue work on MEATER Block and as soon as we have new information regarding ship dates, you will be the first to know!

Why it's taking so long...
In our production phase we've run into unforeseeable obstacles that have led to delays. Building MEATER wasn’t easy but we’ve met the challenges head on and we’re that much closer to producing products in larger quantities. Below is only one example of many issues we’ve managed to resolve over the course of the year. 
Our components are so tiny we had to use a third-party laboratory, with access to high-end super microscopes, to help us identify the root causes of our quality issues. It may seem trivial, but it was only made clear to us the differences between good units and the not-so-good units after the analysis.   

Top: Bad unit. Bottom: Good unit.

To put things into perspective, here’s a normal sized finger (not a banana) for scale:   
The diodes are 0.6mm x 0.3mm in size!

Beta and the Beast
One great thing about beta testing is we get people testing MEATER in ways we have not done. For example, we'd gotten questions whether MEATER could be used for baking cakes, breads, and pastries. Fortunately, one of our beta testers is great at making cheesecake (and also great at assembling rigs to hold MEATER) and wanted to see if MEATER could endure baking.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. Through beta testing, we can confirm that MEATER should only be used for meats! (As it was designed for). Though the probe survived and is currently functioning, cheesecake is not the best thermal insulator. Lesson learned! Stick to the meats. Like this one here.

Cracklin' chicken over a medley of beans. Or this one.   

Get that pork belly in my belly!   

MEATER has been tested in rotisserie pits as well! Solid box of steel.

If you need the extra range, you can always use MEATER Link - which extends your range over the WiFi network. Read Update 40 to watch the MEATER Link instructional video.
Thank you again and we can’t wait to get these MEATERs into your hands.

We're warming up,
Joseph, Teemu, and the Apption Labs Team
Let's Meat Up
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the update Kari.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2017, 12:37:00 AM »
By the time we get these it should only be 1.5 years beyond the initial target. :-) Good thing I'm patient in regards to this.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2017, 10:43:54 AM »
By the time we get these it should only be 1.5 years beyond the initial target. :-) Good thing I'm patient in regards to this.

I hear ya Tony. I am just hoping that the good old Maverick et-733 holds out until this thing ships. I am still remaining cautiously optimistic.

I will say, that this was my first Kickstarter purchase, and this experience is going to make me very wary about doing another one unless it is something like this one that I REALLY want.
Gregg - Fargo, ND