Author Topic: First try at Jerky and Fall Decorating  (Read 8049 times)

smokeasaurus

First try at Jerky and Fall Decorating
« on: October 06, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »
Whew, what a day. Got the cabin decorated for Fall and did Jerkey for the first time ever.
Last night I cut up a London Broil (gotta get a meat slicer) and rubbed it with Obi-Que Smooth Mooove and into the fridge for an overnight ride.

Laid out the broil..added one pc of peach and hickory and lets see what happens

Set the Jerkey dryer over the outlet vent and plugged it in

Off to decorating...you can just see the Smokin-It off to the left of the three sugar pines

Followed the directions that came with the Jerkey Dryer.....4 hours at 160 2-3 at 145-150
Hey whatdoyaknow.....it is edible....my wife Wendy likes it so I am a happy camper
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: First try at Jerky and Fall Decorating
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »
It's all good!  Well done!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
Love the decorations, and the jerky looks good!

One question, though... no curing salt?  I'm one of the believers that curing jerky is essential to preventing botulism, and will definitely extend the shelf life.  Before I knew better, I smoked jerky without cure, and it spoiled in no time.  Just my 2ยข, but I'd suggest using cure on jerky!

I did notice the bottle said "jerky seasoning."  I hope that means it includes nitrites.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:15:46 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
I checked the label...no nitrites............I will look into the curing salt....do you just sprinkle it on ahead of time??
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »
Oh lord here we go again......

Come on folks we have all these great threads about how to do stuff, I sometimes feel like nobody reads them to form a basis of knowledge.

Sorry I don't have time to rewrite the info but it is already here on the forum. by your pictures it would appear you smoked this batch without nitrates.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »
Scott - go to the Jerky section and check it out.  LOTS of great techniques for jerky, and how to cure it.  No need to reinvent the wheel here....Brian's right.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »
In defense of trying something new, and finding good vs bad info on it...searching threads can be a little bit of a needle in a haystack exercise. Just because something was posted doesn't mean it's the best (or even successful) method or recipe. Often good information is buried in posts several pages long. And YEARS old. Wish there was a place on the forum, for tried and true recipes, that could stay at the top of a category, without disappearing into the date prioritized abyss of posts. Just be the tried and true recipe, without comments.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »
All I know is, the jerky came out pretty darn good following the instructions that Steve included with the Jerky dryer... 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:34:09 PM »
You are right, Kari.  But, in the Jerky section, there are several good ones, right at the top.  The common theme, once you start reading them, is to cure your jerky.  I believe Brian's point was that we constantly reinvent the wheel, so to speak, with regards to questions that have been answered countless times.  Research, then post.

With almost 3,300 topics posted, and almost 33,000 posts, it's very difficult to consolidate only the "good ones" in one place!  Unfortunately, that's the nature of the Forum format, as opposed to a recipe website. 

In this format, using the Search function, in the section you are interested in, is a starting point.  A new user then (unfortunately) has to put a little sweat equity into reading.  If a question is posted, we generally link to applicable posts.  Once the new member starts participating, they get to the answers pretty quick. 

We have been kicking around a "quick start" kind of section, but nothing yet.  It's very difficult to come up with only the "top" recipes, per section...who decides, and who might be offended because their "world famous" recipe was not selected to be on top?  Any suggestions on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »
All I know is, the jerky came out pretty darn good following the instructions that Steve included with the Jerky dryer... 8)

It is!  But, I have to get his instructions updated to include curing!  Just be sure to keep that in the fridge - it won't survive at room temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »
Will do Tony...Thanks 8) 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:47:41 PM »
Wish there was a place on the forum, for tried and true recipes, that could stay at the top of a category, without disappearing into the date prioritized abyss of posts. Just be the tried and true recipe, without comments.
it's very difficult to consolidate only the "good ones" in one place!

To simplify your search, if you see my name on a recipe or process, it tasted good I don't make crap. Others here are solid performers also, a few hours of reading and you will see who I'm talking about. When you see those names you can trust the information.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:14:24 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
I learned to look for certain names on the posts for recipe and technique expertise... you know who you are... I've spent countless hours on this forum researching and searching. I read practically everything on the forum about 2 months before I even bought my SI. But I'm really passionate about smoking, and also passionate about this particular smoker having used a different style of smoker. I suppose not everyone is into it at that level, and looking for a quicker answer. I wish I had an idea how to make the best techniques and recipes more available with less time investment for participants who have less time to invest on the forum, but I understand the "best" is subjective.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
I wish I had an idea how to make the best techniques and recipes more available with less time investment for participants who have less time to invest on the forum, but I understand the "best" is subjective.

Soooo true! ;) ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »
I will never post a jerky cook again  ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) :o ;)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill