Author Topic: Brisket in the #2  (Read 6503 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Brisket in the #2
« on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »
I started a 10# brisket flat by putting it in DM's butt brine with and additional 1/4 C of bay seasoning added. I didn't use any pink salt this time around since I can't put it on tomorrow but probably will on Thursday. I didn't want to make corned beef if I go long. I plan on using a Santa Maria Rub for it to test out that flavor profile.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Brisket in the #2
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »
Sounds like a good plan!  Let us know how it all turns out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:10:22 PM »
Should be good, Bob!  I don't know if you saw my post about my thoughts on the Santa Maria rub, but I'd back off the salt to kosher salt (instead of coarse sea salt), and maybe add another tsp. of black pepper.  I used plain old dried parsley, but crushed it good, by rolling it between my fingers, before putting in the rub.  It brings out the Santa Maria flavor!  With the exception of granulated garlic, sugar and parsley, it's just salt and pepper.  The sugar also adds a unique flavor to this seasoning.

I'd mix up a triple-batch for a brisket.  I just did 3 steaks, and didn't have much left over.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
Update: Good and bad news. Bad first: forgot to rinse the brine off before rub......hope I didn't just mess up a bunch of meat. Good news: rub is on, I just used kosher salt, pepper, and garlic. Didn't apply really heavy so hopefully it will not be too salty. Plan on kicking it off in the #2 tonight if all goes well....or it will be Saturday.  :-\
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 02:00:26 PM »
Sounds like it isn't too late.  I know you don't want to but rinse it ALL off and start again.  The risk isn't worth the cost and time invested.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:21 PM »
Sounds like it isn't too late.  I know you don't want to but rinse it ALL off and start again.  The risk isn't worth the cost and time invested.

+1!!  You will be glad you did!  No need to rest that meat, wrapped in the fridge, before smoking, after brining.  You WILL have meat that is too salty.  Rinse it really good, pat dry and reapply your salt/pepper/garlic, and straight into the smoker. The longer you leave that salt on the surface, the saltier it will be.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:56:43 PM »
If you brined, it should be salty. I agree to rinse all of your rub off, and reapply before smoking. Especially since you mentioned your rub ALSO contains salt. Usually, if I brine, I omit the salt from my rub. If your rub has been on there for a while, you can reverse some of the potential excess salt by rinsing your brisket, and giving it a 1 or 2 hour soak in plain water. After rinsing, use a rub without salt.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 09:15:27 AM »
Thanks guys. Although the old Navy in me likes the idea of salted beef, I'm heading for the rinse rack today. I will smoke it tomorrow. My earlier timeline was a bit self imposed. I smoke it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
Put in smoker last night with 6 oz of Apple wood. Rinsed the brisket and reapplied the rub first. I used just black pepper and garlic since I'm a bit concerned about the salt content at this point. Currently at 160 deg.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
Sounds like you are good to go. Let us know how it turned out!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
Success! It was tender and tasty!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »
Well done, Bob!  That does look very tasty!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
Hey Bob, the bark looks very good, also tender and juicy.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »
Yes Bill, some of the best bark I have had.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
Bob,

I am glad it turned out, it looks really good.

Greg