Author Topic: #1 doesn't have combustion of the wood like the bigger models?  (Read 6140 times)

Suzie-Q

#1 doesn't have combustion of the wood like the bigger models?
« on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:38 PM »
As I look at the other posts in our forum I notice combustion or "the belch" mentioned.  I'm only a newbie, but I don't think I've had this happen (yet).  Am I just lucky (with a no peek method)?  I only use about 2-3 ounces of wood in the little #1.  Does it's lower watt element save it from overheating the wood?  I seem to get best results from chips rather than chunks of wood.  Let's hear from the experts!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: #1 doesn't have combustion of the wood like the bigger models?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
Hey Suzy, I too have the #1, I have used as much as 6 oz of wood chunks in it for long smokes. I have not experienced any belch but do have an auber and do first a start of 140 degrees temp. at 45 min. then up the temp. to my cooking temp. say 225 or 235 depending on what I am smoking. I think the belch was in the larger smokers but really not sure. As in my #3 do the same thing with the ramp up temp. Since you are using mostly chips I would say you might be lucky that they have not caught on fire. Do you soak the chips prior to placing in the #1? The reason I went with an auber on my #1 was got discussed with it and the huge temp. swings. When I set the temp. at 235 and see high temps. of say 250 + I thought that was a bit much.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »
You're right, Suzie!  I have never had even a hint of it in my #1.  Before I had the #2, this phenomena was foreign to me, and I didn't really get what everyone was talking about!  Once I got the #2, I saw the difference between a 350w element (at that time, it's now 400w) and a 700w element!  Combustion seems to occur only in the larger units because the element blasts full power while it is heating up, and it's at least double the power in a #1!  No need to ramp, foil, or employ any other "anti-combustion" techniques in the Little Guy!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Donmac

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
The only times I had combustion in the #1 is when I was using crappy dried out store bought wood.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
I check the moisture content on all of the chunks that I use in my SI#1 and only use them if the content is 5% or above and have never had combustion. The wattage of the heating element combined with using quality wood eliminates any concerns with combustion.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

va_rider

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
I've never had combustion in my #2. But, the only wood I've used is from Steve, or from Fruitawood.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:33 AM »
I've had the belch a few times on my #1. Mine has the 400W element. The wood was probably too dry, and not wrapped in foil. I don't ramp up the temp. I wrap the bottom part of the chunk in foil now, and no combustion or belch.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 12:08:22 AM »
Hey Kari, I think the #1 all have the 400 watt element at least the newer models. Where my #3 has a 1200 watt element. I do ramp up the temp. on both and never had a problem with the belch. But, do get a lot more ash in the #3 than in my #1. Could be I have been very lucky so far.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
Hey Kari, I think the #1 all have the 400 watt element at least the newer models. Where my #3 has a 1200 watt element. I do ramp up the temp. on both and never had a problem with the belch. But, do get a lot more ash in the #3 than in my #1. Could be I have been very lucky so far.
The older #1s have a 350 watt element. Wasn't sure if that's why they got the reputation for no combustion. Most of the time I end up with wood chunks looking like black charcoal. But very occasionally I get a hunk of wood that turns to ash.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
Hey Kari, most of mine are like yours just charred wood. Even on longer smokes very little ash. But, I have the box chip insert that I just leave in the wood box. And am on the fence about getting one for the #3. That could be why I have never seen the belch in my #1.

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
Bill, I also have the chip insert, but have only used it for chips. I kinda don't think you even need it for chips, since it seems to me that you could just create a foil boat for the chips. Interesting idea leaving the chip insert in for chunks to help with combustion. Might have to give that a try just for fun, but since I've been doing the foil wrap on the chunks, haven't had trouble with combustion.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
I know this has nothing to do with the smaller size smokers but I've toyed around with different foil & screen combinations and think I've come across what is going to work for me.  I put a piece of foil in the bottom of the box to cover almost all the holes.  I then cover that with the chip screen.  The distance buffer along with the reduced oxygen is working great.  My wood chunks look like the #1 owners now rather than 100% ash. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »
I just use the chip screen all the time-never have any issues.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.