Author Topic: gonna smoke some ribs today  (Read 6932 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: gonna smoke some ribs today
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 03:42:02 AM »
SI set to 225, approximate rib times for me are: Baby Backs 4.5 to 6 hours. St Louis cut spares 5.5 to 7 hours. Full spares 6 to 7.5 hours. Depends on how much chew you like. I like them pretty tender, but not totally falling apart. Wrap and rest for 1 hour.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:49:42 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 01:41:10 AM »
SI set to 225, approximate rib times for me are: Baby Backs 4.5 to 6 hours. St Louis cut spares 5.5 to 7 hours. Full spares 6 to 7.5 hours. Depends on how much chew you like. I like them pretty tender, but not totally falling apart. Wrap and rest for 1 hour.

My times fall right in line with yours. I have found to get St Louis cut ribs done to my liking, I need at least 6.5-7.5 hours at 235. I don't do Baby Backs as often as I do prefer the St Louis cut better.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »
I do tend to go toward the higher end of the times I listed. Like em more tender. I don't do any of the wrapping in foil, unwrapping and saucing, etc (3-2-2 or 3-2-1). That's way too fussy for me, and I get great, moist, tender ribs without the fuss. The SI is all about simplicity. I just use a nice rub, and let er rip! Sauce is served on the side when eating, more as a condiment. We are not into super saucy sticky ribs. Some people here use no sauce at all and prefer the dry rub style.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide