Author Topic: gonna smoke some ribs today  (Read 6933 times)

Freeport441

gonna smoke some ribs today
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
So, I have some St Louis ribs to smoke for the first time.  I am trying to decide what to do though...looking at the forums I can do 4.5 hours no peak method, or I can foil, unfoil, some say 4 hours some say 7 hours, some say 220degrees and some say 235degrees,  etc etc!!!!  Don't want to ruin them my first try, what do you suggest for the best results?
Brett in Monroe

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: gonna smoke some ribs today
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
Hi Brett...I started out with the 3-2-1 method of foiling ribs, etc, but I have moved away from that approach.  It was a lot of trouble fumbling with the foil without really better results.  So, here's what I do:   rub the ribs down and let them sit in the fridge wrapped in plastic for a few hours, preferably overnight if you can.   Put them in the smoker, bone side down on the racks, set for 235F with 3-4oz of wood (I like hickory), and let it go for at least 4.5 hours --- no peeky!   

After 4.5 hours, I take mine out and apply some BBQ sauce, then back into the smoker for one last hour.   This is an optional step, but I like to have the sauce applied before the ribs are done.   If you don't want to sauce, then leave the ribs in the smoker, but you might want to start peeking at the 4.5 hour mark just to see if the meat is pulling back from the bone.

My ribs almost always come off at 5.5 hours, but again, you will want to check yours for doneness, starting anytime after 4.5 hours.

Good luck...I know you will have a smashing success!  Enjoy.

Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »
Hey Brett, Welcome aboard from Eastern MA.
I have found that this "Smoking Guide" gets you in the ball park..... http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0
As with any guide it does not account for personal taste. IE: amount and type of wood. If you still have questions the folks on this forum are always willing to help.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
Brett, one of the factors in your decision making would be how YOU like your ribs.  If you like a clean bite through rib, you should pursue the no peek method.  If you like fall off the bone ribs, I recommend a foil wrap method.  So, from a finished product standpoint, what is your preference? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
Hi Brett...I started out with the 3-2-1 method of foiling ribs, etc, but I have moved away from that approach.  It was a lot of trouble fumbling with the foil without really better results.  So, here's what I do:   rub the ribs down and let them sit in the fridge wrapped in plastic for a few hours, preferably overnight if you can.   Put them in the smoker, bone side down on the racks, set for 235F with 3-4oz of wood (I like hickory), and let it go for at least 4.5 hours --- no peeky!   

After 4.5 hours, I take mine out and apply some BBQ sauce, then back into the smoker for one last hour.   This is an optional step, but I like to have the sauce applied before the ribs are done.   If you don't want to sauce, then leave the ribs in the smoker, but you might want to start peeking at the 4.5 hour mark just to see if the meat is pulling back from the bone.

My ribs almost always come off at 5.5 hours, but again, you will want to check yours for doneness, starting anytime after 4.5 hours.

Good luck...I know you will have a smashing success!  Enjoy.

+1 with what Steve said.

Greg

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »
I am doing ribs today as well.  Looking forward to your finished product.
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Freeport441

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »
Final result....they were very good, but I would alter a couple things.  Following others advice I used a "no peak" method- smothered in mustard and rub, rest for a couple hours in fridge, put in smoker at 225degrees for 4.5 hours, slather with bbq sauce and put back in for 1 hour.  I think I would put the pan of juice/water in next time, I forgot to buy tin foil pans and a metal pan didn't fit, there were a couple dry spots on the edges and probably could have gone 6 hours total time.  I used 3oz of apple and 3oz of cherry- that was about right, could go a tad less.  Kids loved them and so did I...just have to experiment a little to get them perfect
Brett in Monroe

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »
Sorry, Brett, I forgot to mention the water pan...yes, try that the next time for added moisture.   I use a water pan for all smokes that take more than a couple of hours.

Glad you enjoyed the ribs...they get better with practice!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
Brett, I haven't smoked spares in over a year, but did some last weekend.  I didn't trim to St Louis style - they were full spares.  I went 6:15 on the time, and they weren't done to my liking.  I should have gone longer, but we needed to eat!  Bottom line - let the ribs tell you when they're done, and don't worry about the time.  You'll learn what I'm talking about after doing a few racks.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »
Do you add a water pan to your smoker Divot??
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
Do you add a water pan to your smoker Divot??

Absolutely!  The only meat I don't add a water pan to is poultry, since the skin is a natural barrier, it doesn't make sense.  Of course, it doesn't go in a jerky smoke, either!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
For me I use a water pan for all smokes.

Note I don't smoke jerky.

Greg

smokeasaurus

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:50:02 PM »
Gonna add water for all my smokes.....would a clean soup can work?
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 09:52:26 PM »
Gonna add water for all my smokes.....would a clean soup can work?

You'll have much better results with a loaf pan.  Buy the disposable aluminum ones.  I think the key to success on water pans is surface area.  The liquid heats faster, and you have lots more surface real estate to produce steam vapor, but that's just my 2ยข. :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
Small loaf pan, put it right on/next to wood box. 

I used to (try) a beer can.  Little or none got evaporated.   

As close to the element or touching is the key. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA