Author Topic: Can you safely go to 350 in SM 1 with Auber and by pass  (Read 3442 times)

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
Can you safely go to 350 in SM 1 with Auber and by pass
« on: September 27, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »
I am installing the by pass in my SM1 tomorrow with the hopes that I will be able to go to 350, on those few occasions that I may want to. Is that a reasonable hope?
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
Re: Can you safely go to 350 in SM 1 with Auber and by pass
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
After installing the by pass today, I called Steve. He said that with the by pass the SM 1 could  go up to 350. I did not ask him if it could any further because I had asked for his recommendation and he gave it and I haven't run across anything that I would be smoking that would require any higher temperature.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:12:53 PM »
After installing the by pass today, I called Steve. He said that with the by pass the SM 1 could  go up to 350. I did not ask him if it could any further because I had asked for his recommendation and he gave it and I haven't run across anything that I would be smoking that would require any higher temperature.

Good to know, another reason for the Auber.

Greg

Bebe

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
indeed, good to know!
I'll try some chicken, see if i can crisp the skin.. (i won't tell my wife, she asked me if she can do lasagna... although a smoked lasagna might not be so bad :))

Thanks, Gary! 
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 04:22:04 PM »
indeed, good to know!
I'll try some chicken, see if i can crisp the skin.. (i won't tell my wife, she asked me if she can do lasagna... although a smoked lasagna might not be so bad :))

Thanks, Gary!

Gary,

Smoked Lasagna, does sound good.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:58:01 PM »
It rises to 350 quickly in the #3, Gary.  I smoked 2 whole chickens at 325, but the skin shrank and tore so bad it looked awful!  I'm sticking with low and slow, and pulling the skin off before eating!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 02:25:48 AM »
Hey Gary, did you get the permanent wall mount probe also? And are you going to install a switch? If doing a switch I would suggest a dpdt toggle switch. Good luck on your bypass.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri