Author Topic: First Cook: Brisket  (Read 12637 times)

smokeasaurus

First Cook: Brisket
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:12:37 PM »
Go big or go home I always say (well, I don't really say that  :-[ ) but in this case it applies.........while the #3 is seasoning I got a briskie trimmed and prepped for tomorrow nights first cook.

Picked up a 10.5 lb select at Walmart.....only 31.00...that'll work.
Rubbed down with Savor Spices "Fine Swine & Bovine" and into the fridge to get happy until tomorrow evening..see you then...
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: First Cook: Brisket
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 01:02:36 AM »
Hey Scott, that is a good price on the brisket. Do you have a restaurant depot around your area? They have a good quality of meats. And some of us have learned a secret in getting around their membership. If you want will show you the post on how to get daily passes to shop in them. Normally they just sell to restaurants and people that have food licenses.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »
For a select, you might also think about an injection before putting it in the smoker.  I like beef broth, garlic and worcestershire . 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »
Hey Scott, that is a good price on the brisket. Do you have a restaurant depot around your area? They have a good quality of meats. And some of us have learned a secret in getting around their membership. If you want will show you the post on how to get daily passes to shop in them. Normally they just sell to restaurants and people that have food licenses.

We actually have one in Colton down the hill. Might take over an hour to get there..but for good meat at a good price.......I will fill the gas tank up  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »
For a select, you might also think about an injection before putting it in the smoker.  I like beef broth, garlic and worcestershire .

Good Call SuperDave.....I got some Stubbs Texas Butter that I will spike it with just before it goes in the smoker...........
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
Well, Wendy has to go to a paid meeting at the hospital this afternoon......I am gonna have to hit emergency (Doc changed my BP meds and I aint feelin too good  :() but luckily the Smokin-It is all set up to fire up this evening  :)

Did pick out my wood choice.....it will be a medly of Red Oak-Sugar Maple-Wild Cherry........... 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »
Get those meds right and hope you feel better.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
Get feeling better, Scott!  Your plan, and wood selection is "choice," though your meat is "select!"  Not that Select is necessarily bad, I just know there is a LOT of tolerance in that grade.  I usually make sure brisket is at least USDA Choice, and Prime, if I can find it (hit and miss at Sam's).  Let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
a medley of Red Oak-Sugar Maple-Wild Cherry

We find Red Oak to be the least desirable smoking wood of the Oak Family. Red Oak goes in the firewood pile.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

smokeasaurus

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 11:30:01 PM »
a medley of Red Oak-Sugar Maple-Wild Cherry

We find Red Oak to be the least desirable smoking wood of the Oak Family. Red Oak goes in the firewood pile.

Over here on the Left Coast Red Oak is highly coveted..... :)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

smokeasaurus

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 02:02:42 AM »
Ok, got my meds adjusted...need a good nights sleep..however the #3 is gonna be up all night 8)

Injected the briskie with Stubbs Texas Butter and into the smoker at 160 for overnight.....see y'all in the morning
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »
Over here on the Left Coast Red Oak is highly coveted
into the smoker at 160 for overnight

I'm not sure which one surprises me more, the 160 seems a Lot low. I generally run
220 - 225.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

smokeasaurus

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
I went 160 from 9 pm to 5 am. Then switched to 230 for the remainder of the cook.....still not feeling to chipper so I started it earlier than I wanted to and compensated for the 160 so it wouldn't be cooked for breakfast..... ;D
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

smokeasaurus

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »
Over here on the Left Coast Red Oak is highly coveted
into the smoker at 160 for overnight

I'm not sure which one surprises me more, the 160 seems a Lot low. I generally run
220 - 225.

Red Oak is the main component for Santa Maria style BBQ on the West Coast
This is from Widipedia:
Santa Maria-style barbecue is a regional culinary tradition rooted in the Santa Maria Valley in Santa Barbara County on the Central Coast of California. This method of barbecuing dates back to the mid-19th century and is today regarded as a “mainstay of California’s culinary heritage.” [1] The traditional Santa Maria-style barbecue menu was copyrighted by the Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce in 1978.[2]

Santa Maria-style barbecue centers around a beef tri-tip, seasoned with black pepper, salt, and garlic salt before grilling over coals of native coast live oak, often referred to as 'red oak' wood. The grill is made of iron and usually has a hand crank that lifts or lowers the grill over the coals to the desired distance from the heat. The Santa Maria Valley is often rather windy, so the style of cooking is over an oxidative fire as opposed to a reductive fire that many covered BBQs use.

The traditional accompaniments are pinquito beans, fresh salsa, tossed green salad, and grilled French bread dipped in sweet melted butter.[
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

smokeasaurus

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
After 8 hours at 160 and 10 more at 230 this brisket is probe tender. Got the #3 turned off with the brisket getting some foil love resting inside........sliced pictures coming very soon.....
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill