Author Topic: Using the #2 as a steamer?  (Read 12238 times)

va_rider

Using the #2 as a steamer?
« on: September 22, 2015, 10:24:20 AM »
So, I'm about 2/3 of the way done on my first pastrami. I brined/debrined, last night I smoked it.  The final step is steaming it to 203°... I've looked into several methods of steaming it, and had about settled on doing it in the oven on a rack with a water pan underneath and foil on top.

But, last night, I got to thinking about just using the smoker to steam it. Putting a foil Lasagna pan full of water on a rack right above the burner, and not using any wood. Perhaps even putting the pastrami 2 spaces above the pan, with foil across the top of it there.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:31:50 AM by va_rider »
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

smokeasaurus

Re: Using the #2 as a steamer?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »
I don't see why not.....these smokers are basically electric ovens if you do not add any wood.......just my 2 cents 
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
Unless the water pan is on the box I don't think you will get steam, just evaporation.  And even then it might be a risk I wouldn't take after all your work.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

va_rider

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:48:13 AM »
Unless the water pan is on the box I don't think you will get steam, just evaporation.  And even then it might be a risk I wouldn't take after all your work.

Let's say that I put the lasagna pan on the lowest rack above the "firebox" and fill it with boiling water from a kettle... Think it would create steam then? On all of my normal smokes, I put the "Sasha Flavor Saver" water pan hanging above the burner, suspended from the bottom of a rack, and it gets hot enough to boil/steam, even if I start with cold water in the pan.

I was talking to a buddy in CO who makes pastrami regularly, and this is about the setup he uses. He just tosses this into the oven at 225 with foil over the top of the whole setup. I don't see how putting it in the smoker would be much different. I guess I could do a dry run with just a water pan in the smoker, no wood, and see if I get steam coming out of the top. An added bonus might be that it'll clean the smoker a bit during the steaming process.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:55:19 AM by va_rider »
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »
a "competitior" of Smokin-Its offers a ss water container that hooks to the racks to help add moisture (I don't know about steam) to the smoker..........

I found this on Yahoo Answers:   'Steam' is formed when water Vaporises at its boiling temperature.
This is 100°C at standard atmospheric pressure (1.0atm).
Water will also boil at higher and lower temperatures depending on the surrounding pressure. (Increased pressure, increases boiling point and decreased pressure decreases boiling point).

However, water also forms steam-like 'Vapour' at lower temperatures by a process called 'Evaporation' which can take place at any temperature. Even in Winter, a pool of water will slowly disappear as it evaporates.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:58:31 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »
Why not put a roast rack in the foil pan with a 1/4" of liquid and seal the pan with plastic wrap and foil?  This is how I steam my pastrami and it can be done in the oven or smoker. 

Ahhh, your buddy is on the same page as how I do it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:04:24 AM by SuperDave »

va_rider

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »
a "competitior" of Smokin-Its offers a ss water container that hooks to the racks to help add moisture (I don't know about steam) to the smoker..........

I found this on Yahoo Answers:   'Steam' is formed when water Vaporises at its boiling temperature.
This is 100°C at standard atmospheric pressure (1.0atm).
Water will also boil at higher and lower temperatures depending on the surrounding pressure. (Increased pressure, increases boiling point and decreased pressure decreases boiling point).

However, water also forms steam-like 'Vapour' at lower temperatures by a process called 'Evaporation' which can take place at any temperature. Even in Winter, a pool of water will slowly disappear as it evaporates.

I have this - Offered by Smokin-It.  http://www.smokin-it.com/Miss_Sasha_p/sasha.htm
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
Aaron, I think your setup will work great. 225 is 225 no mater how you get there. The water will steam. If you are worried about the heat you could leave the wood box off and get straight burner action.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 02:20:53 PM »
Aaron, I think your setup will work great. 225 is 225 no mater how you get there. The water will steam. If you are worried about the heat you could leave the wood box off and get straight burner action.
There is just way more efficient ways to do it.  225 is 225 box temp yet the internal temp of meat never gets to that temp, why would you assume water will?  How long will it take in hours to get to that point?  Steaming shouldn't be a big pan of anything, IMO. 

va_rider

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »
Here's where I'm confused Dave. An oven is essentially the same thing. Cooking chicken in a 350 degree oven, the box temp is 350. It's, like the smoker, not a sustained 350. It swings back and forth; and the meat temp never gets to 350.

So, 225 in the smoker is the same as 225 in the oven. It's all box temp. In the oven, I can't get the water pan as close to the heat source as I can in the smoker, also, the source of the heat in my oven is more spread out. My buddy does his in the oven, so I know that it'd work, but I can't really see the downside/disadvantage of doing it in the smoker. Like you say, 225 is 225. If water will create steam in a 225 oven, it should create steam in the smoker, especially with a smaller footprint on the heat source.

In any case, I'll try it, most likely with an empty box first, and report back.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
Hope you prove me wrong and it works.  Steaming pastrami is done correctly in a confined space like a sealed pan.  I feel like the open pan (with steam) will create humidity in the oven or the smoker and not really provide the steaming effect.  But I could be wrong.  Smoking experiments are what makes us all better though so interested to see what happens. 

va_rider

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »
^^^ This is why I love this forum.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
Aaron, what if you put a pan, like the size of the steam tray/drip pan, that we use for the drip pan, directly on the bracket that holds the smoke box?  Remove the smoke box, and it would sit close to the element to get the best heat?  Then put your meat on the lowest shelf, with a foil cover?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 03:24:12 PM »
So, what was the final result?

va_rider

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
Haven't finished it yet... I've been out of town... I'll probably be steaming it this weekend.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2